Computer4-Audio

Music from PC, iPOD, MP3 etc

Computer4-Audio

Postby spacey » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:14 am

Hello Guys

Have been wondering if there’s a market for a little side business I'm tempted to start!
I've built the follow and think its sooo much better than a laptop or server based audio.
Some may have read about the one I built last week, but I’ve changed it slightly since. Now it’s got internal storage, system is:

Shuttle XS36V
4GB of RAM @ 1333mhz
750GB Hybrid SSD drive for internal storage so no network issue.
Windows 7 (32bit) Premium
JRiver MC17, with 'Gizmo' remote app on any android or apple mobile device.

You will need a wireless network for the remote.
Advantage of internal storage is; if the wireless network drops for a second or two, it won’t interrupt playback just cause the remote a slight delay in connection.

It runs heedlessly and is absolutely silent no fan noises as there isn't any, it’s about the neatest solution I think there is out there, even better than a McMini IMO.

So what do you think?? Would any of you guy be interested?
Last edited by spacey on Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JRMC19/Gizmo - Resonessence Labs INVICTA MIRUS - ATC SCM25A Pro's

Re: Computer4-Audio

Postby MattSPL » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:03 pm

Sounds like a very good idea Spacey :)
Its something that might interest me down the line, but not just yet.

Cheers
Matt
Sony BDP-S790 > Matrix Quattro Dac > Digidesign RM2's with SB Acoustics drivers > DIY Dayton Audio UM18-22 Sub

Postby spacey » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:13 pm

Cheers Matt, in parts and software alone its cost £460. So it’s not the cheapest but is by far better than banging extra RAM and a Larger HDD into a laptop or desktop as they both are very noisy and are not designed to be ran 24/7. The shuttle XS36V has been verified to run 24/7 as have all the parts I've picked.

Postby mamo » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:52 pm

Hi,
That is a very good build at a reasonable price including software.
I built ( well my friend did when I was away on holiday) a silent computer to the computer audiophile CAPS 2.0 specification which is the asynchronous version which is very good although cost just under £900 including 200 quid box.
Its a great option to get someone to build one if you are a computer numpty like me, the build is relatively easy, it is the software end that can be messy.
Runs off J River and gizmo remote as well which is an unbelievable new way of accessing my music,
Way better value for money than buying a Trade streamer as you can upgrade as you go and for the price of a cheap cd player(that dosen't break)
You should post some photos of the streamer and remote to show it off... :D

Colum

Postby BenL » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:17 pm

spacey wrote:Cheers Matt, in parts and software alone its cost £460. So it’s not the cheapest but is by far better than banging extra RAM and a Larger HDD into a laptop or desktop as they both are very noisy and are not designed to be ran 24/7. The shuttle XS36V has been verified to run 24/7 as have all the parts I've picked.

How much would you be planning to retail them at?
HiFi: Sonos & Primare -> ATC SCM40

AV: Pioneer 428XD / Onkyo SC886 -> Primare A30.5 -> ATC SCM11s, ATC C3C, Q7000 LR, ATC C2 sub

Postby spacey » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:15 pm

Thats a tricky one Ben. I'd have to find a way of buying the parts cheaper, me buying them at retail then adding my time and profit would make the package too expensive. I'd like to retail a fully configured unit ready to plug'n'play (the only thing left would be the wireless network connection to setup) for about £5-600 all in.

Postby BenL » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:25 pm

I guess that compares favourably with a mac mini, and obviously well with hifi streamers. Certainly the sort of thing I'd be interested in (tho not immediately). Presumably you're anticipating someone using it with a NAS?

AV: Pioneer 428XD / Onkyo SC886 -> Primare A30.5 -> ATC SCM11s, ATC C3C, Q7000 LR, ATC C2 sub

Postby spacey » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:27 pm

BenL wrote:I guess that compares favourably with a mac mini, and obviously well with hifi streamers. Certainly the sort of thing I'd be interested in (tho not immediately). Presumably you're anticipating someone using it with a NAS?

That would be an option i suppose, could build them as people wanted really. At first i had a NAS and the Shuttle had a 60GB SSD for OS and program/s. This would be about £50-75 cheaper as the 750GB Hybrid drive I've got now is expensive. I've built it this way because IMO local storage sounds better and has less variables to go wrong during playback. I find it very annoying when breaks and dropouts occur. :ugeek:

Postby spacey » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:09 am

Last night I had chance to compare the ShuttleXS36v to my previous dedicated laptop. The shuttle is markedly better sounding; it’s got a cleaner more accurate sound. There’s simple more definition to everything. Vocals, bass, mid, treble, soundstage and timbre have all improved. I wasn’t expecting a better sound, just less physical noise. But the outcome has been remarkable.

Goes to show that Mark/Item Audio may well be onto something.... Not saying this for commercial reasons as I probably won’t start a business out of it but can build these for a few friends etc..... Unless i can buy the bits at trade price’s

In terms of physical noise from the PC/HDD; the analogy is that it doesn’t make any more noise than a CD player spinning a disc, even when playing and seeking, it’s that quite! Probably one of the better ways of spending less than £500 on my system..

Postby MattSPL » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:50 am

spacey wrote:Last night I had chance to compare the ShuttleXS36v to my previous dedicated laptop. The shuttle is markedly better sounding; it’s got a cleaner more accurate sound. There’s simple more definition to everything. Vocals, bass, mid, treble, soundstage and timbre have all improved. I wasn’t expecting a better sound, just less physical noise. But the outcome has been remarkable.

Goes to show that Mark/Item Audio may well be onto something.... Not saying this for commercial reasons as I probably won’t start a business out of it but can build these for a few friends etc..... Unless i can buy the bits at trade price’s

In terms of physical noise from the PC/HDD; the analogy is that it doesn’t make any more noise than a CD player spinning a disc, even when playing and seeking, it’s that quite! Probably one of the better ways of spending less than £500 on my system..

Sounds good Spacey :)
Keep us posted on how it works out long term.

Cheers
Matt
Sony BDP-S790 > Matrix Quattro Dac > Digidesign RM2's with SB Acoustics drivers > DIY Dayton Audio UM18-22 Sub

Postby BenL » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:37 pm

Any chance of a photo spacey? Thanks :)

Postby spacey » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:39 pm

Just installed RealVNC to control the Shuttle - a superb bit of software. I get the full and complete desktop with 100% working environment.

Will do some screen prints and photos of it all today or tomorrow :D

Postby spacey » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:00 pm

Some quick shots from this evening :)

Screen shots showing RealVNC connection to the Shuttle via my laptop.

Tablet control for normal playback and album browsing.

Postby MattSPL » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:45 pm

Looks very smart Spacey, and handy with that tablet 8-)

Postby spacey » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:10 am

Cheers matt, its great having built it all, a superb front end IMHO. :D :ugeek:

Next

Return to Computer Audio