Plea for help - how to move from CD to PC?

Music from PC, iPOD, MP3 etc

Re: Plea for help - how to move from CD to PC?

Postby Alexk » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:04 am

Actually I'm going to vote against moving your music from CD to a computer. It may be an improvement in sound (possibly, I'd debate this a lot of the time), but the experience of listening to music on a computer is IMO vastly inferior to listening to music from CD.

I've made the move from CD to computer, and I know I don't really listen to albums any more. Can't wait to move back. I've spoken to many, many people who feel the same. Just look at all the kids with iPods and not a single complete album on them as an example...

Postby paul_riordan » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:15 am

Alexk wrote:Actually I'm going to vote against moving your music from CD to a computer. It may be an improvement in sound (possibly, I'd debate this a lot of the time), but the experience of listening to music on a computer is IMO vastly inferior to listening to music from CD.

I've made the move from CD to computer (well music streamer really rather than computer per se), and I know I don't really listen to albums any more. Can't wait to move back. I've spoken to many, many people who feel the same. Just look at all the kids with iPods and not a single complete album on them as an example...

I understand where you are coming from, it is very tempting just to listen to individual tracks. There was also similar criticism when CD came along. With CD you have the ability to program individual tracks, whereas with vinyl to skip a track you had to get up and move the arm.....

For many of my friends they still like to browse the physical artwork and sleevenotes when they are listening, this is still not as easy with computer based listening as it should be.....

I think the major factor for me moving to computer based listening was the need to physically store all the cds in the listening room and the fact that I can listen to music in multiple rooms without having to go and grab the CDs. I tend to add whole albums to my playlist when I sit down to listen, interestingly when I am listening it tends to make me think of other albums that I would like to listen to, I can then just add them to the playlist whilst I am still listening.

Cheers

Paul
Source: Auralic Aries Mini + Mytek DAC 192
Video source: Oppo BDP-93 blu-ray/SACD/DVD-A
Pre-amp: Mark Levinson ML380s
Cinema Processor: Anthem D2v
Speakers: ATC SCM50ASL (Front and Centre), ATC C4 (Sub), ATC SCM20A-2 (Rear)
Screen: Pioneer KRP-600A

Postby Zulef » Mon May 19, 2014 6:24 pm

http://rip59.dk/EACFlac/EACFlacRipping.html

Here is a helpful link for getting started with ripping your cd collection. It's not about the newest version of EAC, but there is nothing missing nevertheless. Winter is a good time to start :lol:

In terms of dac I would also go for usb dac or an integrated solution with a hd built in or a network connection.
I can vouch for Resolution audio Cantata, which is amazing and goes very well with Atcs. If you want to make use of your existing dac, you can also have it modified with an additional USB receiver (USB input). Amanero or xmos are very good place to start. No sure how many bits can your dac handle...

The cheapest solution for streaming that works beautifully is Squeezebox touch. You can drive it with any PC or any Netgear NAS. Not sure if you can get a new one anymore. I have been running it for more than a year without restarting it, it's bulletproof. It is also easily modified for 24/192 playback via USB.
Sonos is another very reliable solution, does not play 24/192 though and is limited to 65.000 Songs!
A lot of people I know use HTPCs as servers but nobody is as happy with them as with simple streamers.
If you are eager to spend money new toys like Auralic Vega and Aries would be worth checking out. Get a demo though, not sure if anyone tested aries yet. It looks very good though.

Browsing your collection with a tablet is amazing. :lol: Fact that you can stream your music to any room you wish is also very usefull. I kind of like an idea that hifi becomes invisible. You only have to tolerate speakers, all other boxes, cds, vinyl .... just vanish. If you could build the speakers into walls you could get rid of them too :D

Previous

Return to Computer Audio