Recommending the Anedio D2 DAC

Music from PC, iPOD, MP3 etc

Recommending the Anedio D2 DAC

Postby superbit » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:45 pm

I have recent joined the ATC fold with a pair of 100ASLs and a C6 which continue to amaze me with their precision and effortless dynamics.

I am feeding them with an Anedio D2 DAC which partners them perfectly and I wanted to introduce this DAC in case members of this forum have not heard of it. For the record I have not and do not have any connection with Anedio at all other than simply having purchased one of their units. My intention is simply to raise awareness for anyone looking for an exemplary $1,500 DAC to partner their active speakers with no preamp required.

For full technical specifications and measurements (using an industry standard Audio Precision system):
http://www.anedio.com/index.php/product/d2_specs http://www.anedio.com/index.php/product/d2_measure

The key features are 24-bit/192kHz, Asynchronous USB 2.0, SPDIF, BNC, RCA, Toslink inputs, balanced and unbalanced outputs, 32-bit digital (and analogue) volume control, remote control and built-in headphone amplifier. From a purely technical measurement perspective, the Audio Precision figures are as good or better than those of other units costing several times as much such as the Weiss DAC202 and the Resonessence Labs Invicta (both also ESS Sabre-based).

I have done some double-blind testing (I could blindly switch between level-matched DACS in real-time via a pre-amp) of the Anedio against a couple of other (more expensive) DACs and freely admit that I cannot hear any substantive difference between them and are firmly of the opinion that, to my ears anyway, DACs of this quality are entirely sonically transparent.

The volume control on the D2 is also quite interesting as a the first 9dB of attenuation is provided using thin-film resistor dividers and after that 32-bit digital attenuation is used so even a 24-bit source signal should remain completely unsullied down to -57dB of attenuation. The XLR outputs provide 4V (RMS) at 0dB attenuation so in the pure interest of avoiding rare but unfortunate accidents, I have used Rothwell 10dB attenuators to compensate for the +12dBV XLR outputs.

The only fly in the ointment to anyone contemplating this DAC is that these units have been more or less sold out since their introduction in March (I was lucky enough to get mine at the beginning of April) so getting one is somewhat difficult.

If any other members of this forum have heard the D2 against other DACs, I would be interested in hearing their opinions.
iTunes -> JackOSX -> AULab on Mac Mini -> PrismSound Orpheus
2+2 channels -> ATC SCM100ASL / C6 Sub (Living Room)
2 channels -> ATC SPA2-150 -> ATC SCM11 (Office)
2 channels -> TBD

Re: Recommending the Anedio D2 DAC

Postby Shadorne » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:20 am

Superbit,

This sounds like a superb DAC at a good price.

There is another thread where I mentioned another asynchronous DAC (Benchmark DAC1) in response to a query on how to move to a good sounding PC-based setup from CD's. You may want to add the Anedio D2 DAC to the suggestions on that thread as well as any other advice you may have. The claims by Anedio suggest that this DAC virtually eliminates jitter and would make it a great choice for computer based audio - no wonder they are having trouble keeping up with demand.

link http://atcforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=4273
"ATC. Always The Champion. I will not record without them. The best studio monitors. Period." ~ Lenny Kravitz

Benchmark DAC3, 2 x ATC SCM EL150ASL, 1 ATC SCM 0.1/15, 2 x Genelec 8020, Roland TD-30 Drums, Pearl Ref Acoustic Kit, Ludwig brass & Pearl Ref snares, Gibson LP Supreme, Fender Precision Bass

Postby MattSPL » Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:11 pm

Really nice looking Dac, and balanced outputs too :D
Sony BDP-S790 > Matrix Quattro Dac > Digidesign RM2's with SB Acoustics drivers > DIY Dayton Audio UM18-22 Sub

Postby Ianmac » Tue May 14, 2013 9:58 am

Havent had an opportunity to hear one but the spec and the price is very good.
Both match the new Benchmark DAC2 very closely - I have just replaced my Benchmark HDR with a DAC2 and its superb.

Good news for all is that circa £1500-£1750 you can get a superb DAC.
Technics 1200 (modded),SB Touch (modded) Caps 3streamer, Sony CDP-D11 CD >>owncables >>Benchmark DAC2HGC >>12M balanced >>Ianmac Hypex NCore monos >>25cm tri wired own cables >>ATC SCM 40

Postby Brad Lunde » Sun May 19, 2013 4:43 pm

While not cheap, have any of you checked out the Drawmer HQ in the UK? This is a "pro" piece that appears more suited to preamp playback DAC duties with an amazing level control system. Its one of our favorite DAC's here, we also like the Crane Song Avocet. I'd love to know if any of your have compared the Drawmer to any hi fi products.

Brad
Brad Lunde
Lone Mountain Audio, part of TransAudio Group
ATC Importers USA

Postby rtrt » Sun May 19, 2013 6:21 pm

Postby AndyU » Wed May 22, 2013 9:04 am

rtrt wrote:looks like an interesting review here

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug11/articles/drawmer-hq.htm

Only 16/44 by USB, and no mention of async USB either, so not very appealing to those users with computer sources who wish to use USB. And the Wolfson WM8740 is quite a modest DAC - Cambridge Audio use them in their (much cheaper) Dacmagics. Still, if it sounds good ... Nice remote, and the precise channel balancing and level setting must appeal to pro-users.

Return to Computer Audio