Pasce Minirig Speaker

Music from PC, iPOD, MP3 etc

Pasce Minirig Speaker

Postby Rob_k » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:00 pm

Hello

I've been thinking about getting a portable speaker for a while but until now, nothing has really fit the bill when I looked at price v portability v sound quality. I really like the looks of the Minirig speaker and wondered if anyone else had any experience of it or anything similar

http://minirigs.co.uk/

It gets rave reviews on Amazon. Ideally I would like to send audio from IPod or iPhone using a line out dock conectors - something like this http://ewww.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0009X499G/ref=mp_s_a_2?pi=SL75&qid=1350251585&sr=8-2

I understand that if you use the line out, you circumvent the iPhones headphone amp and by doing so, improve the audio quality. The only issue with this is that it also bypasses the phones volume control which is an issue as the minirig does not have volume control of its own.

Just wondered if anyone had any thoughts/ideas for a work around or if in view of the small size of the speaker anyway, the benefits of using the line out would be outweighed by the impracticality of using it as opposed to the headphone jack?

Any thoughts would be appreciated

All the best

Regards

Rob
Netgear Stora > SONOS Connect > Audiolab MDAC > Yamaha 1065 > ATC SCM19, ATC C1C, BRFX Rears, Mordaunt Short 309i = big smiles

Re: Pasce Minirig Speaker

Postby Shadorne » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:17 am

I don't think it is worth worrying about the headphone amp in the IPhone if you go with those cheap portable speakers.

FWIW - I have a pair of Genelec 8020B in the office and just plug in the iPhone headphone jack.

Same thing with Mark Levinson system in the car - just plug the headphone out into the aux jack.

To put things in perspective - my iPhone only has 32GB which holds about half my music collection even at lossy compression of 128 Kbps AAC files.

Two cents but I just don't think it is really worth your while going the extra mile...

If you were playing through your ATC SCM7 then I'd say absolutely go for it - get a better source than the iPhone headphone jack!
"ATC. Always The Champion. I will not record without them. The best studio monitors. Period." ~ Lenny Kravitz

Benchmark DAC3, 2 x ATC SCM EL150ASL, 1 ATC SCM 0.1/15, 2 x Genelec 8020, Roland TD-30 Drums, Pearl Ref Acoustic Kit, Ludwig brass & Pearl Ref snares, Gibson LP Supreme, Fender Precision Bass

Re: Pasce Minirig Speaker

Postby Rob_k » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:39 am

Hello Shadorne

Thank you for your reply - headphone jack is the way to go. I had a look at the Genelec speaker range and they look very good indeed. I was tempted, but I can picture my wife's face if I tried to put it in the suitcase when packing for our Holiday. I've taken the plunge and taken a hit on my SCM19 fund and ordered a Minirig. I'll update when it's arrived and I've had a listen

Cheers

Regards

Rob
Netgear Stora > SONOS Connect > Audiolab MDAC > Yamaha 1065 > ATC SCM19, ATC C1C, BRFX Rears, Mordaunt Short 309i = big smiles

Return to Computer Audio