Tom Petty says MP3 is 5% of what he hears

Music from PC, iPOD, MP3 etc

Tom Petty says MP3 is 5% of what he hears

Postby Shadorne » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:38 pm

In the first part of a two part interview with Tom Petty you get some interesting insights into the music business as well as some yogi wisdom on leaving troubles behind through the power of forgiveness.

'The snarl had come back into the music'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIJc3HQBUEI

Despite his collection of hit songs, Petty says that he never knows whether something he's working on will find success on the radio.

"There has been very few times where I set out to write a single," he tells Jian. "I knew that I really liked those songs. Like Free Fallin', I knew that was a good one because I played it all night when I went home... I rarely play it myself and I went home and I just kept playing that track over and over."

Hypnotic Eye, the latest album by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, channels the band's early rock and roll roots.

During the band's first playback, when they played all the songs on the record in a row, guitarist Mike Campbell told Petty that his vocals were very much like on their first two albums.

"I had never thought about that until he said that, and then I started to see what he meant," Petty says. "It's kind of like the snarl had come back into the music."

The age of digital

In an era where a lot of popular music is either made by or listened to on computers, Petty says that he's "annoyed" that most people don't get to hear the music at its best.

"What I don't like is with the digitization is that people aren't hearing quality sound, you know. The consumer's not getting what I hear everyday, which is just miles above, say, an MP3 or what most people are hearing -- their music off their phone or their computer."

Petty says that the band still takes an old-school approach to making their music -- playing actual instruments in the same room with other musicians.

"There's a lot of people that are in so much of a hurry to be, I guess, to be famous or that they don't want to take the time to learn to play and do all that. They'd rather just knock it down off a computer and maybe get on a game show and get famous... That's fine if that's what you want to do.

"We're more old school than that. We like creating the sounds."
"ATC. Always The Champion. I will not record without them. The best studio monitors. Period." ~ Lenny Kravitz

Benchmark DAC3, 2 x ATC SCM EL150ASL, 1 ATC SCM 0.1/15, 2 x Genelec 8020, Roland TD-30 Drums, Pearl Ref Acoustic Kit, Ludwig brass & Pearl Ref snares, Gibson LP Supreme, Fender Precision Bass

Re: Tom Petty says MP3 is 5% of what he hears

Postby Muser » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:10 am

Shadorne:
Interesting interview.
Thanks for the pointer.
Larry
ATC SCM20-2A, Onkyo 885(a) preamp processor, YBA 1 Alpha preamp, Amazon Model 2 tt, Moerch DP6 arm and Dynavector XX2MkII cartridge, Oppo 105, Twisted Pear Audio Buffalo 32S DAC (balanced out) Kubala Sosna Expression cabling. Two 15" Acoustic Elegance subwoofers, powered by QSC RMX 2450 amplifier w/ minidsp equalization.

Postby darrenyeats » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:57 am

FWIW my blind test with Spotify (Vorbis 320kbps) versus 16/44: http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/show ... p?t=163147.

Postby Shadorne » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:03 pm

darrenyeats wrote:FWIW my blind test with Spotify (Vorbis 320kbps) versus 16/44: http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/show ... p?t=163147.

I have done some testing myself. It is very difficult to hear differences on individual tracks. iTunes versus CD quality. Grace Jones Slave to the Rhythm is what I used. I can hear 128 AAC compression and 256 AAC is very hard. I think above about 320 Kbps it gets extremely hard except on very specific situations (not every track). My logic is to use the highest audio quality files that I can still use conveniently even if I can't hear the difference all the time. I would say that above 320 Kbps you are 99% there as far as the ears/hearing is concerned. 128 Kbps is like 90%. Below that it drops rapidly - satellite Sirius radio is really crap - 50% sound quality IMHO.
"ATC. Always The Champion. I will not record without them. The best studio monitors. Period." ~ Lenny Kravitz

Benchmark DAC3, 2 x ATC SCM EL150ASL, 1 ATC SCM 0.1/15, 2 x Genelec 8020, Roland TD-30 Drums, Pearl Ref Acoustic Kit, Ludwig brass & Pearl Ref snares, Gibson LP Supreme, Fender Precision Bass

Return to Computer Audio