Torus Power AVR 4 (4A) for ATC SCM 50 Active + preamp + dac

ATC & other manufacturers design parameters, technical queries etc

Torus Power AVR 4 (4A) for ATC SCM 50 Active + preamp + dac

Postby xtraktz » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:04 am

Hello,

Does anyone know how much ATC SCM 50 Active consumes?
Is this Torus Power AVR4 will be enough for my system ATC SCM 50 ASLT + ATC SCA2 + DAC?

http://www.toruspower.com/uk-avr-series/
> MAC MINI (MD387|SSD|16GB|10.9.5) > dCS DEBUSSY > ATC SCA2 > ATC SCM 50 ASLT

Re: Torus Power AVR 4 (4A) for ATC SCM 50 Active + preamp + dac

Postby Brad Lunde » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:11 am

xtraktz wrote:Hello,

Does anyone know how much ATC SCM 50 Active consumes?
Is this Torus Power AVR4 will be enough for my system ATC SCM 50 ASLT + ATC SCA2 + DAC?

http://www.toruspower.com/uk-avr-series/

Between 69 watts Idle to 325 watts at 1/2 power. Torus is a good product, I'm sure its more than enough.
Brad Lunde
Lone Mountain Audio, part of TransAudio Group
ATC Importers USA

Postby xtraktz » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:03 pm

Hi Brad

What is the maximum current of ATC 50 Active and SCA2 peamp? Is there enough Torus 4A output?

Postby studioman » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:05 pm

I have a 4amp mains purifier powering my SCA2 plus my Linn LP12, a Naim Hicap2 for my Naim Superline, my Naim DAC and my Krell CD player. It works fine.
I had been a bit worried about even just the SCA2 drawing too much power, as the fuse on the SCA2 is a 3.15amp slow-blow fuse.
But all is well.

My ATC active plate amps on my SCM150ASLT speakers ALSO have 3.15amp slow blow fuses on each one, so my view is that putting an SCA2 plus 2 ATC active speakers onto a 4amp power supply might just be getting very close to its limits.

David
They say if you can remember the 60's, you weren't really there. Now somehow I have reached 62...oh shit, it's 63 now....How and when did THAT happen?....there's a lesson there somewhere if only I could figure it out...

Postby Brad Lunde » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:44 pm

xtraktz wrote:Hi Brad

What is the maximum current of ATC 50 Active and SCA2 peamp? Is there enough Torus 4A output?

That I do not have. Only draw.
Brad Lunde
Lone Mountain Audio, part of TransAudio Group
ATC Importers USA

Postby studioman » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:03 am

The minimum manis current draw of an SCM50A is 90watts and the maximum current draw of the SCM50A is, according to the spec on ATC's website, 350 watts. That would be 700 watts for a pair.
That's NOT output power, it says 'Current draw'.

That would be around 3 amps at 240v.
So that leaves you 1 amp for an SCA2.
Tight, I would say, for your Torus.
But manageable if you are careful.

I doubt that you'll be using your SCM50s at full tilt.

The minimum wattage they take when turned on is 90 watts.

So that's 2 x 90 = 180 watts (less than 1 amp) per pair on 'idle'.

Which would leave you the 3 amps you need for startup of your SCA2.

So my recommendation, if you want to try it, is turn on your active ATC speakers first, let them settle for a couple of minutes, to get over any 'turn-on power surge'. THEN turn on your SCA2, which has a 3 amp slow-blow fuse, and which will turn on in MUTE mode at firstl. Give that a couple of minutes to settle, then you SHOULD be ok. I would estimate that, anywhere on the volume control between 7o'clock and 12 o'clock should not cause more than 500 watts to be drawn by the power amps in your speakers. Again, personally, I wouldn't try to' max out' the volume because you will also be maxing out a 4 amp draw from your Torus.

I recently bought a cheap (less than a tenner) digital LCD voltage panel meter to use with my Power Conditioner. Works brilliantly, and shows me the output voltage from the unit. You can also get one which shows not only the mains voltage, but the current that is being drawn. If it was my system, I would get one of those as a next step. In fact I might just do that anyway and test my ATC setup myself. There is a clamp type which you just place around the mains cable. Absolutely safe. No rewiring involved, and it shows you instantaneous readings of current passing through the cable, to within 2%. OK I crumbled. I HAVE just ordered one. :-)

Cheers, David

They say if you can remember the 60's, you weren't really there. Now somehow I have reached 62...oh shit, it's 63 now....How and when did THAT happen?....there's a lesson there somewhere if only I could figure it out...

Postby xtraktz » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:18 am

I tried this Torus at my home. It has monitoring of inbound and outbound voltage and current consumption. When turned on, each speaker shows a consumption of approximately 3A. The preamplifier is less than 1A. In the operating mode, the system consumption is approximately 1A. But I did not like the sound with Torus, the transparency was gone, the sound became lifeless. I will continue to use my Acoustic Revive RTP-4 Ultimate power distributer plugged to wall outlet. without active filtering.

Postby darrenyeats » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:46 pm

As SOS wrote in their 2003 article here https://web.archive.org/web/20150606085 ... oblems.asp "Mains filters commonly 'backfire' by coupling noise into the equipment, which is exactly what they're supposed to deal with!"

I highlight the word "commonly", trying not to be absolute as I know some people get good results with particular gear. But I do think unless you know exactly what you're doing, it's best to go direct to the raw mains and avoid power filters, regenerators and the like. It's better IMO to remove sources of noise on the mains - wall-warts belonging to household appliances for example - a dedicated ring or circuit being the ideal.

Here is my modus operandi anyway: http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/show ... tcount=126.

Return to Technical area