Has anyone upgraded the wires on amp pak?

ATC & other manufacturers design parameters, technical queries etc

Has anyone upgraded the wires on amp pak?

Postby bebop86 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:02 am

I have read where folks have rewired the internal wiring on the amp paks with upgraded wires- has anyone tried this and what are the sound results- thanks
Speakers: All ATC Active:- 100's R/L -C6 center- 50's sides and rears- (3)- C6 subs and a Danley-DTS-20- sub-
PJ_ Sim 2 HT-5000
Source for movies- Classe-ssp-800 and Oppo 93
2 channel- Concert Fidelity pre and dac
with a Music Vault diamond Server

Re: Has anyone upgraded the wires on amp pak?

Postby MattSPL » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:22 am

I did read somewhere that somebody rewired the internals with some more upmarket speaker cable and had very positive results.
On the other hand, it could be said that once the gauge of the cable is sufficient for its job, there should be no audible difference.

I think its worth a go anyway if your speakers are out of warranty and you've no problem doing it yourself.

Cheers
Matt
Sony BDP-S790 > Matrix Quattro Dac > Digidesign RM2's with SB Acoustics drivers > DIY Dayton Audio UM18-22 Sub

Postby Shadorne » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:45 am

Changing capacitors in the audio path would make a small but possibly audible difference as would changing the Op amps but there would be absolutely no point and no difference from changing wiring as the longest wire is no more than two feet. At least not unless there was something wrong to begin with.
"ATC. Always The Champion. I will not record without them. The best studio monitors. Period." ~ Lenny Kravitz

Benchmark DAC3, 2 x ATC SCM EL150ASL, 1 ATC SCM 0.1/15, 2 x Genelec 8020, Roland TD-30 Drums, Pearl Ref Acoustic Kit, Ludwig brass & Pearl Ref snares, Gibson LP Supreme, Fender Precision Bass

Postby studioman » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:41 pm

Yes, I have upgraded the SPEAKER cables....If you see my posts on the thread about ATC PA65s, you will see some pics I took showing something that not many folk notice on the amp pack circuit boards. There are 6 ΒΌ" male connectors soldered into the main PCB,labelled BASS+, BASS-, etc....
ATC say (unofficially) that you can use these terminals to connect larger speaker cables if you want to try that, as the standard 6-way connector is pretty limited for connecting larger cables....
Last edited by studioman on Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
They say if you can remember the 60's, you weren't really there. Now somehow I have reached 62...oh shit, it's 63 now....How and when did THAT happen?....there's a lesson there somewhere if only I could figure it out...

Postby studioman » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:20 pm

OK I ALSO have now taken the plunge on upgrading the internal dual core coaxial cable with two separate lengths of single core Apogee cable. This cable is a bit of a studio trade secret, it's a particularly good cable which is chosen, (on the quiet!) by quite a lot of studios worldwide. I would have used the twin core version but I didn't have any spare.

I have wrapped a piece of Poron foam around 2 caps which the cable passes close by and loosely positioned the cable in a couple of cable ties, so that it cannot vibrate against the caps.

Now:

Before:

Last edited by studioman on Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
They say if you can remember the 60's, you weren't really there. Now somehow I have reached 62...oh shit, it's 63 now....How and when did THAT happen?....there's a lesson there somewhere if only I could figure it out...

Postby MattSPL » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:06 am

Looking good :)
Sony BDP-S790 > Matrix Quattro Dac > Digidesign RM2's with SB Acoustics drivers > DIY Dayton Audio UM18-22 Sub

Postby studioman » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:54 am

Yeah, I kind of like pinky purple.... Hope it doesn't make them sound like Girls Aloud, though....
:-)

Postby MattSPL » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:56 pm

studioman wrote:Yeah, I kind of like pinky purple.... Hope it doesn't make them sound like Girls Aloud, though....
:-)

:lol:

Postby studioman » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:23 am

My two tarty ATC loud girls on a night out with G.A.

Don't they get around?

Mind you, I should have realised it would have been a better pun if I'd used a picture of the Beach Boys, but this picture was rather nicer :-)

Posers. :-)

Postby MattSPL » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:46 pm

studioman wrote:My two tarty ATC loud girls on a night out with G.A.

Don't they get around?

Mind you, I should have realised it would have been a better pun if I'd used a picture of the Beach Boys, but this picture was rather nicer :-)

Posers. :-)

:lol:

I wouldn't mind a night out with that lot :D

Postby studioman » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:54 pm

I presume you are referring to the two somewhat cubic ones ?

Postby MattSPL » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:55 pm

studioman wrote:I presume you are referring to the two somewhat cubic ones ?

Of course :lol:

Return to Technical area