Mains cables for active speakers

ATC & other manufacturers design parameters, technical queries etc

Mains cables for active speakers

Postby Minmop » Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:55 pm

The mains cables for my SCM40a's are 2 metres long - not long enough to allow the speakers to be placed in their optimum location. Any advice on whether longer ATC mains cables are available or recommendations on mains extension blocks?

Thanks & Best Regards

Minmop

Re: Mains cables for active speakers

Postby darrenyeats » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:27 pm

I have active 50s. I use extensions on the mains leads, they are normal domestic brand (Masterplug). Mine are plain with no switches or indicator lamps, which I recommend.

Postby Minmop » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:48 pm

Thanks for info - much appreciated

Postby AlmaataKZ » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:30 pm

Any normal longer cable from amazon, ebay or similar will work perfectly and cost a fiver or so.
iMac/Bluray/PVR - Marantz SR7008 - 7.1 ATC SCM50SLAT fronts, C1C centre, SCM7 rears, MonitoAudio M3 rear surr, C4 sub
Airplay multiroom (aex to genelec 6010, b&w mm1, avi dm10)
System here: http://atcforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=667

Postby linger63 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:56 pm

Minmop wrote:The mains cables for my SCM40a's are 2 metres long - not long enough to allow the speakers to be placed in their optimum location. Any advice on whether longer ATC mains cables are available or recommendations on mains extension blocks?

Thanks & Best Regards

Minmop

My recommendation would be to experiment with some higher end power cables.

IME they seem to make even more of a difference with ATC active speakers.

I have heard power cables choke the dynamics right out of my active SCM 70's.

I have also heard power cables that lifted them to an even higher sonic plane.

IMHO...........ANYONE with active ATC's that DOESN'T experiment with power cables............are simply short changing themselves.

Why wouldn't you want to explore an affordable option to enhance your listening pleasure?

My friends and I have just finished some testing of various power cables in my system and my DIY Belden 19364 cleaned all their clocks.

I reckon it is a great "value for money" cable and well suited to running active ATC's.

The more expensive Belden 83803's were just a bit too hard edged in the top end for me.

Don't be afraid to mess around with AC cords and I/C's as they are both great finishing tools for fine tuning a system..........provided of course that system is ALREADY well set up in an ALREADY treated room.

BTW..........power cords work the opposite way to speaker and I/C cables................longer is BETTER.........ever wonder why most cords are at least 1.5mts long?

It increases the cables' ability to reject RFI and EMI.

Ignore any "power cables are all the same" naysayers..........ignore me too if you want..........but at least give your ears a chance to judge for yourself.

Good Luck

Postby MattSPL » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:59 pm

Very brave post on Mains cables :) I agree with you though.
Sony BDP-S790 > Matrix Quattro Dac > Digidesign RM2's with SB Acoustics drivers > 2 x DIY Dayton Audio UM18-22 Sub

Postby Minmop » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:50 pm

Lots to think about linger63, thanks a lot to all for helpful comments

Postby darrenyeats » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:02 am

I haven't tried audiophile cables but here are some things I do: http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/show ... tcount=126.

I avoid mains filters.

Postby linger63 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:21 pm

darrenyeats wrote:I haven't tried audiophile cables but here are some things I do: http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/show ... tcount=126.

I avoid mains filters.

Hi Darren,

I used to avoid mains filters like the plague!!!!............until only recently.

Someone was selling an old PS Audio Duet Power Center pretty cheap on Ebay and I thought ........ah why not have a bit of a play!!

What I expected to happen ( and what HAS happened in the past ) was that plugging my large active ATC's into it would degrade SQ killing the dynamics by rolling off HF and "choking" the sound.

No biggie.........I knew I could still plug my Plasma Display and maybe a source or two into it.

WELL...........It didn't work out that way......I plugged my ATC's into it and had a listen.

MUCH lower noise floor (BLACK silences) with BETTER bass, cleaner overall presentation........and with NO loss of dynamics!!!!

OK.......lets try cranking things up and watch it fry when I hit over 100DB!!!.................didn't bat an eyelid?????

OK ......lets take it to a mates place who has 1000W Bryston 28BSST mono's.............NO PROBS.........Now HE wants one!!!!

OK.......lets take it to ANOTHER mates place who has a power amp with a 5KVA transformer..........AGAIN NO PROBS!!!.......and AGAIN........HE wants one too!!!!!!

Remember........this thing is like...........10 years old!!!!

I have since discovered that...........these days........there are some pretty damn good power conditioners out there.

The problems I (and maybe you) expected to occur just didn't.................HOWEVER...........power REGENERATORS are another story!!!!

THEY have lower current limits and if you have a BIG powerful system you really should buy the top models (minimum AUD$5K) or there WILL be issues!!!!

Of course a good one will definitely outperform a conditioner for outright SQ improvement......IMO and IME

Bottom line Darren...........

Could be time to check some affordable conditioners out..........you may just like what you (don't?) hear!!!!!!

Cheers

Postby St_Antoine » Sat May 07, 2016 10:47 pm

Hi Minmop,

I am an owner of active scm40.

I have assembled a pair of power cord (supra lorad mk2) that cost me less than 150 usd. It was as easy as abc , it required no soldering, only scissors and a screwdriver.

The sound quality improved significantly. More details, lower noise floor and dynamic than the stock power cord.

As well i notice that if plugged into the wall socket directly, the sound is more airy, better soundstage and pace it is faster than if plugged into a power conditioner.

Hope my experience is of assistance to you.

Cheers

Postby St_Antoine » Sat May 07, 2016 11:04 pm

Minmop,

In my opinion, the stock power cord should be replaced by a better one.

I have also try to plug my built power cord to the power conditioner and had a lower noise floor and better details than plugged into the wall socket.

However, the music lacks of pace (listened to sultan of swing from dire straits).

So at the end i preferred to plug to the wall sockets.

Ideal is to have a better power conditioner that does not compromise the speed of the music but it would be too expensive for me.

Cheers

Postby linger63 » Sun May 08, 2016 3:32 pm

Minmop wrote:The mains cables for my SCM40a's are 2 metres long - not long enough to allow the speakers to be placed in their optimum location. Any advice on whether longer ATC mains cables are available or recommendations on mains extension blocks?

Thanks & Best Regards

Minmop

Hi Minmop,

Further to my earlier posts.........and to add to St_Antoine's above post...........

Very recently built myself some 1.75mt Acrolink 7N-P4020iii power cords with Wattgate 5266i and 320i connectors.

The "7N" bit stands for 99.99999% pure copper and you CAN hear it!!!!!!

Obvious improvements in SQ including more HF detail and deeper bottom end.

See the below link for reviews and comparisons between other Acrolink cables

http://singaporehifi.blogspot.com.au/2011/05/acrolink-power-cords-relook-into.html

Of course it costs a "tad" more than Belden 19364 but.....IME and IMHO.....clearly worth it......especially DIY!!!

I got mine from Japan for US$50 mt on Ebay..........the Wattgates added another US$40 per cable.

With shipping it worked out to just US$140 per completed cable.........and I would do it again in a heartbeat!!!!

BTW..........7N-P4020iii is only Acrolinks ENTRY LEVEL power cable!!!!!!!!..........as were the Wattgate connectors!!!

I am now running TWO PS Audio Duets (old, used and only cost me US$130 each) to each run one main only.

Everyone who has been here since have all said they haven't heard things sounding so good..........EVER!!!

Cheers

Postby darrenyeats » Mon May 09, 2016 6:26 pm

It's not something I've explored. To my mind the power cord has two routes to make a difference to performance (I leave aside psychology, which is no doubt powerful, for the moment).
1. Some sort of filtering effect on the power supply. Could it be that the extent the power cord succeeds in being a filter (probably mild) is the extent it will show the same problems as a regular filter? I don't like filters usually.
2. Some sort of shielding effect in terms of the hi-fi equipment close by. I take care to separate the power cords from the interconnects (mine are a long run) and this seems to help. This is free.

Regards, Darren

Postby MevDinc » Mon May 09, 2016 11:09 pm

Anything that reduces unwanted noise in the signal is a plus.
For serious listening I always use battery power with my DAC, it makes a big enough difference even over its expensive power supply Voltikus!

I bought some DH Labs power cords (which I believe are great value) and I did feel they made a difference.
From cleaner power (like using battery) the difference is especially obvious with the bass; feels deeper, cleaner and tighter.

Best.
Mev
Audirvana+3.0 - Mac Mini, Lindermann Musicbook 20 DSD, ATC EL 150ASL (with the ATC tweeter!)

Postby darrenyeats » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:40 am

I went to the Windsor hi-fi show on the weekend with a couple of friends.

We heard the Isotek demo with Larson speakers. I have to say, all three of us perceived a positive difference when they switched in the Isotek EVO3 Genesis One (on source) and Titan One (on power amp). No negatives to speak of. Interesting. They were also using their fancy power cord beyond the first step of the demo. Bear in mind hi-fi show mains supplies are probably the most toxic known to man!

Had a good chat with their guy and he showed me inside the box. Isotek are careful not to use chokes (inductors) in their power amp filters (Titan One) - so as not to increase impedance. The regenerator (Genesis One) is 100W so designed for one source.

This has changed my mind somewhat about filters/regenerators done right. To some degree also power cords too, since the Isotek guy spoke mainly about the degree of shielding given the interconnects and audio equipment in close proximity - and at least that aspect makes sense to me.

I think I'd only use the Genesis One and two Titan Ones together (long story), that would be many thousands of pounds. Can't swing that!

But now I'm thinking about the effect of electrical and magnetic interference in general, so I've just sprung for some star quad XLR cables (Gotham GAC-4/1). Also I read that if the sockets are gold (as they are with the Benchmark and 50s) then gold neutriks are better - don't mix metals on contact.

Next

Return to Technical area