Mains cables for active speakers

ATC & other manufacturers design parameters, technical queries etc

Re: Mains cables for active speakers

Postby MattSPL » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:46 pm

I have also recently made a power cord from Acrolink 7N P4030II cable. It’s quite large at 14mm in diameter and each copper core is huge. I had to bore the terminals on the male IEC I have on one end and use an Oyide C-004 on the other end. I needed a male IEC on one end to plug into my power inspired AG500 regenerator.
Sony BDP-S790 > Matrix Quattro Dac > Digidesign RM2's with SB Acoustics drivers > DIY Dayton Audio UM18-22 Sub

Postby kifbe » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:23 pm

What mains cables do ATC supply with their most expensive active speakers please?

Postby MevDinc » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:10 am

I think ATC supply the same standard power cords with all their actives.
Even the top of the range P6 amp as part of my active EL150As came with the same standard cord. :)

I did eventually replace all my cables with the DH Labs power cords, and I believe they improve the sound.
Audirvana+3.0 - Mac Mini, Lindermann Musicbook 20 DSD, ATC EL 150ASL (with the ATC tweeter!)

Postby kifbe » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:33 am

MevDinc wrote:I think ATC supply the same standard power cords with all their actives.
Even the top of the range P6 amp as part of my active EL150As came with the same standard cord. :)

So, ATC sell £60,000 active loudspeakers with a standard IEC mains lead (power cord). Doesn't that tell you something, or do you think that this might be just a cynical cost cutting move on their part?

Sorry, guys, but I've run ATC actives for the last 10 years with ATC supplied mains leads and XLR cables and their speakers sound just great straight out of the box, and I wouldn't consider changing cables for one minute.

Postby darrenyeats » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:51 am

Using no mains treatments and standard power cables is a good place to be. Better than to introduce things that make things worse!

I am sold on the mains quality thing, I perceive things got better since I got a dedicated ring for my hi-fi, and put my Touch on battery power. But you can make things worse if you don't know what you're doing. As I've quoted before from SOS https://web.archive.org/web/20150606085 ... oblems.asp:
"Mains filters commonly 'backfire' by coupling noise into the equipment, which is exactly what they're supposed to deal with!"

So when it comes to mains filters and regeneration I am extremely cautious. A lot of it could be psychology, or system dependent. I'm open to the idea, but I proceed with caution.

Personally I'm not sold on the power cable thing just yet, beyond maybe the shielding story. Again a lot of it could be psychology, or system dependent.

The reason I'm trying the "pro audio" Gotham GAC-4/1 XLR cables is that they are star quad AND relatively low capacitance for star quad AND double (reussen) shielded, a nice combination of qualities. The shields are braided. I need a relatively long 10.5m run. (Re: star quad if you're a measurement person see for example https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/applic ... hone-cable). I'm thinking it's a way to test the hypothesis behind power cord shielding and geometry, that might help more besides? Anyway, I'll report back when I compare with my usual "audiophile" interconnects (QED Reference Audio Evolution XLR)! The rational result would be no difference heard, the audiophile result would be the magic audiophile cable sounds better, but at least I'm trying stuff and we'll see.
Last edited by darrenyeats on Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Postby MevDinc » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:54 pm

ATC also supply long interconnect XLR cables with their active systems, they told me that these cables are used in professional studios.

I don't think it's a cynical cost cutting exercise by ATC at all.
You should see the interconnect cables they supply with the EL150As, they look just amazing and must cost a lot of money to make!

However, although the ATC supplied power cords are certainly good enough there's some improvements to be had via better quality cords. IMHO electrical noise is probably the biggest cause for sound distortion especially in the bass area.
I've used batteries to power my Zodiac Gold DAC and the sound improved substantially in the bass; much cleaner and deeper.

I'm a real sceptic when it comes to some gadgets improving a good system like ATC but in my experience anything that helps reduce the electrical noise is a good thing.
Especially when you can buy good value for money stuff such as DH Labs.

It's always to best try and see/hear for yourself, you may think it's not needed. I'm sure you can demo a couple decent power cords and see if you get any improvements.

Best.
Mev
Audirvana+3.0 - Mac Mini, Lindermann Musicbook 20 DSD, ATC EL 150ASL (with the ATC tweeter!)

Postby darrenyeats » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:48 am

darrenyeats wrote:... I'm trying the "pro audio" Gotham GAC-4/1 XLR cables ... Anyway, I'll report back when I compare with my usual "audiophile" interconnects (QED Reference Audio Evolution XLR)!

First impressions of the Gotham are positive and it's staying in. We'll see long term.

Postby linger63 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:27 am

I strongly suggest that ANY XLR I/C cable skeptic with active ATC's try to hear a set of CARDAS CLEAR'S in their system.

Would look forward to reading their replying post!!!!

Would also suggest checking out BELDEN 83803 AC DIY cable..........hard to work with..........but well worth it!!!!!!

Postby darrenyeats » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:34 pm

Thanks linger63, but I'm currently using a 35 foot run for my I/Cs - Cardas would be the price of a new car!

I'll look into the Belden power cable though - many thanks.

Postby saureign » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:18 pm

between CDA2 and P2 I use Van deh Hul The Mountain XLR. Quite qood, reminds me of Nordost Valhalla in a Simaudio system I had years back, except the bass being somewhat thinner on VdH. I also use VdH Mainsstream power leads in the ATC system.
ATC CDA2 mk2 (soon to be here...)/ Van den Hul Mainsstream & The Mountain / ATC SCM40A

Postby kifbe » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:32 pm

I strongly suggest that ANY XLR I/C cable skeptic with active ATC's try to hear a set of CARDAS CLEAR'S in their system.

I think when I used the expression 'cable sceptic' earlier I should have said 'cable realist', as it better describes my view that the XLR cables and the mains leads that ATC supplied are perfectly suitable for use with their speakers. If I wanted to spend money improving an already great sounding system I would invest in room treatment.

Postby darrenyeats » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:49 pm

Kifbe,
I wasn't given any XLRs by ATC! The dealer that sold me my 50s provided the fancy QED. For anybody in that situation I recommend the Gotham GAC-4/1, or I think Mogami 2534 would do a similar job - both star quad, double shielded with reasonable capacitance - they're cheap enough to try out for kicks.

Postby kifbe » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:23 pm

I wasn't given any XLRs by ATC!

Actually, I requested these from the factory immediately prior to the speakers' delivery and had to pay for them. I believe that others on here have been more fortunate! :D

Previous

Return to Technical area