Phasing of the drivers in ATC speakers.

ATC & other manufacturers design parameters, technical queries etc

Phasing of the drivers in ATC speakers.

Postby studioman » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:12 pm

This applies to the ATC SCM25, SCM50, SCM100, SCM110 and SCM150, ACTIVE versions with 3-way amp packs.

I have found out from ATC direct, that the BASS DRIVER in these speakers IS WIRED IN ANTI-PHASE relative to the midrange and tweeter.

If you do any DIY work on any of these speakers, you need to take this into account.

If you have the active version, of course, the 6 way multi connector is already wired to take account of this.

But if you do any DIY type of work or re-wiring, you need to remember that the wiring for the bass driver needs to be 'flipped'

This is quite a common thing for speaker manufacturers to do, but I had not been aware until now that it was the case with these ATC lovelies.

So why was it useful information for me?

Because I have rewired my active 150s with much better quality cable, which was too thick for the multi-connector, so instead, I wanted to use the male ΒΌ" terminals which are soldered onto the circuit board and are wired in parallel to the multi-connector plug.

ATC have already confirmed that I was ok to use these terminals INSTEAD of the multi-connector.

I hope this is useful information to somebody else!
They say if you can remember the 60's, you weren't really there. Now somehow I have reached 62...oh shit, it's 63 now....How and when did THAT happen?....there's a lesson there somewhere if only I could figure it out...

Re: Phasing of the drivers in ATC speakers.

Postby MattSPL » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:09 pm

Great info. Thanks :)
Sony BDP-S790 > Matrix Quattro Dac > Digidesign RM2's with SB Acoustics drivers > DIY Dayton Audio UM18-22 Sub

Return to Technical area