Do all ATC consumer actives require factory voltage setting?

ATC & other manufacturers design parameters, technical queries etc

Do all ATC consumer actives require factory voltage setting?

Postby highstream » Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:07 pm

I'm new here, looking to sooner than later join the ATC family by finding a good used pair of ATC consumer actives (40A, 19A, 20ASLT). That project has got me wondering how wide a net I can cast regarding power requirements, i.e., inlet voltage (mains) settings. Do all the current ATC active consumer models require setting of voltage at the factory or have some gone to switching power supplies?

What gets me to ask is that the online specs and manuals of some of the consumer models say explicitly that the inlet voltage ("Power Requirements") is factory or internally set (e.g., SCM50ASL), while the manuals/specs of most of the active models, including the newer ones, don't say anything at all about it, just to make sure that the local voltage matches what shows on the back of the speakers. But the backs of all the speakers list all three voltages (100, 115, 220-230), along with the different fuse sizes, and caution the user to check the voltage. Ambiguous enough that it's worth asking. Thanks,

Re: Do all ATC consumer actives require factory voltage setting?

Postby Brad Lunde » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:12 pm

highstream wrote:I'm new here, looking to sooner than later join the ATC family by finding a good used pair of ATC consumer actives (40A, 19A, 20ASLT). That project has got me wondering how wide a net I can cast regarding power requirements, i.e., inlet voltage (mains) settings. Do all the current ATC active consumer models require setting of voltage at the factory or have some gone to switching power supplies?

What gets me to ask is that the online specs and manuals of some of the consumer models say explicitly that the inlet voltage ("Power Requirements") is factory or internally set (e.g., SCM50ASL), while the manuals/specs of most of the active models, including the newer ones, don't say anything at all about it, just to make sure that the local voltage matches what shows on the back of the speakers. But the backs of all the speakers list all three voltages (100, 115, 220-230), along with the different fuse sizes, and caution the user to check the voltage. Ambiguous enough that it's worth asking. Thanks,

The active amps are not switchable in most models. 50s on up requires service and rewiring of the main power transformer. Since this is a high voltage type service, it is not something a user wants to do and should be done by the factory or someone trained by the factory. This is not something they post on their website, or send out to just anyone as it carries some risk if done incorrectly.

Its a good question, I will have to look up the smaller actives (40A, 19AT) and other electronics (SIA, C2, P1/P2, etc).

Brad
Brad Lunde
Lone Mountain Audio, part of TransAudio Group
ATC Importers USA

Postby highstream » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:21 am

Thanks. Definitely wouldn't want to be digging around inside (my days doing that are long past). Look forward to what you find out.

(the "notify me when a reply is posted" doesn't seem to work) - update: it did for MattSPL's post.
Last edited by highstream on Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Postby MattSPL » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:01 pm

Looking at pictures of the amp plate on the new scm40a, it lists all the fuse ratings for each voltage, but there is no selector switch, so it must be an internal adjustment.
Sony BDP-S790 > Matrix Quattro Dac > Digidesign RM2's with SB Acoustics drivers > DIY Dayton Audio UM18-22 Sub

Postby highstream » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:11 pm

My question assumes that some kind of internal voltage sensing is electrically possible with a loudspeaker. If not, then then how ATC presents the information doesn't really matter, even if confusing by its inconsistency.

Postby Brad Lunde » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:24 pm

highstream wrote:My question assumes that's some kind of voltage sensing is electrically possible with a loudspeaker. If not, then then how ATC presents the information is irrelevant, though confusing by its inconsistency.

There is no voltage sensing. Again, the 50 on up are not switchable, it requires service to do so and instructions from the factory. You need different wires from the power transformer to be used for different power. No switches or adjustments, not user serviceable.

The art would be the same on the back for all worldwide models, so that's why you see different fuse size information. They would not make a specific amp plate for 115 and another for 230. The shipping carton would serve as a double check to the distributor/store what the power supply wiring is set to.

ATC knows what power is where, so they only ship you goods set up for your country. All my stuff comes set to 115V and has US power cords in it. If I wanted 230V, I'd have to special order it in all cases.
Brad
Brad Lunde
ATC Importers USA

Postby highstream » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:51 pm

Thanks for your help, Brad. Earlier today your last post said that you needed to check on the models below the 50, such as the 40a and 19a, so I take it from the edit that you did.

Postby Brad Lunde » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:38 am

highstream wrote:Thanks for your help, Brad. Earlier today your last post said that you needed to check on the models below the 50, such as the 40a and 19a, so I take it from the edit that you did.

The factory is closed, so I cannot ask to be 100%, but I did look at the manuals and they clearly show a box to mark the appropriate (incoming) voltage. I do not think any of the consumer products are switchable voltage. SO if you buy a used set in different voltage outside your home country, the best place to go for a fix on power is back to the factory.

Brad
Brad Lunde
ATC Importers USA

Postby highstream » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:14 pm

Thanks for your help, Brad. I have an email into ATC to double check, but what you found makes sense and seems authoritative.

Postby Brad Lunde » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:45 pm

highstream wrote:Thanks for your help, Brad. I have an email into ATC to double check, but what you found makes sense and seems authoritative.

Don't email, call them. The engineers do their own email, so it when its holiday, trade show time or field travel, they can't answer you. The next month is really busy with CES< NAMM and other shows.

Calling is always your best best to talk to any factory. Ask for Engineering- "you have a technical question about your ATCs". Keep it brief, theses guys are in the lab every day or prototyping a new speaker -so really busy. I am not able to chit chat with them and I work with them! Or, call Rick who owns this forum.

Brad
Brad Lunde
ATC Importers USA

Postby highstream » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:35 am

Thanks for the advice. Rick? I did get an email from Richard Newman last week clarifying something else. Btw, isn't this site affilitated with or owned by Musicraft?

Postby Brad Lunde » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:13 am

highstream wrote:Thanks for the advice. Rick? I did get an email from Richard Newman last week clarifying something else. Btw, isn't this site affilitated with or owned by Musicraft?

No Richard is from ATC
Rick is from Musicraft.
Brad Lunde
ATC Importers USA

Postby studioman » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:09 pm

Re: Mains voltage change
ATC would not want consumers poking around in their Amp Packs. The phrase 'No user-serviceable parts inside' applies 100%. Contact ATC to have modifications made, for your safety and for the security of your equipment.

Re: importing
ATC products, especially the larger units with built in active amps, are VERY HEAVY. The high cost of import duties which many countries charge, the cost of carriage for such enormous weight, along with the risk of damage, the cost of voltage conversion, are surely too much to consider it being viable, despite any savings you might make.
The only consideration I ever make, as I live in the UK, is having the confidence to buy from within the EU, ( as long as I am protected financially...Paypal etc through a protected service such as Ebay...) as voltage across the EU is the same, and there are (currently pre-Brexit) NO import duties or added VAT to pay for customers importing products from within the EU.
Last edited by studioman on Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
They say if you can remember the 60's, you weren't really there. Now somehow I have reached 62...oh shit, it's 63 now, ...How and when did THAT happen?....there's a lesson there somewhere if only I could figure it out...

Postby highstream » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:53 pm

I forgot to follow up here. Richard Newman of ATC responded along the same line as studioman. That is, it's an easy change to make by a competent tech with instructions from the company, or by the factory itself. And then there's a matter of warranties...

Thanks all,

Postby studioman » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:36 am

highstream wrote:I'm new here, looking to sooner than later join the ATC family by finding a good used pair of ATC consumer actives (40A, 19A, 20ASLT). That project has got me wondering how wide a net I can cast regarding power requirements, i.e., inlet voltage (mains) settings. Do all the current ATC active consumer models require setting of voltage at the factory or have some gone to switching power supplies?

Always contact ATC re: matters of mains voltage. Don't tamper. Wouldn't want anyone to damage their equipment or worse still harm themselves.
Last edited by studioman on Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
They say if you can remember the 60's, you weren't really there. Now somehow I have reached 62...oh shit, it's 63 now, ...How and when did THAT happen?....there's a lesson there somewhere if only I could figure it out...

Next

Return to Technical area