Flush Mounting SCM110's and amp removal - weight imbalance

ATC & other manufacturers design parameters, technical queries etc

Flush Mounting SCM110's and amp removal - weight imbalance

Postby Channel » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:44 am

Hey there,

Does anyone have any wisdom regarding Flush mounting SCM110's and the new weight distribution difference as a potential instability problem (and also ways to compensate) once the amps are removed from the boxes.

i.e.
The Amps weight 12Kg (26.6lb) each - distributed at the back of the unit.
I am aiming to decouple the speakers by sitting them on Sorbothane (as per acoustics guy recommendations), however, by removing the amp the balance of weight changes front to back (resulting in the speaker slightly leaning forward a few degrees).

So, just seeing if anyone has any experience this side and work arounds?
e.g.
A - dispense with Sorbothane and rest the speakers straight on speaker stands (weigh ~180Kg each)
B - Place weights on the back of the box (will need to be 26.6kg to equal the amp) to rebalance [if so what did they use?]
C - something else

Thanks

Re: Flush Mounting SCM110's and amp removal - weight imbalance

Postby Brad Lunde » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:16 am

Channel wrote:Hey there,

Does anyone have any wisdom regarding Flush mounting SCM110's and the new weight distribution difference as a potential instability problem (and also ways to compensate) once the amps are removed from the boxes.

i.e.
The Amps weight 12Kg (26.6lb) each - distributed at the back of the unit.
I am aiming to decouple the speakers by sitting them on Sorbothane (as per acoustics guy recommendations), however, by removing the amp the balance of weight changes front to back (resulting in the speaker slightly leaning forward a few degrees).

So, just seeing if anyone has any experience this side and work arounds?
e.g.
A - dispense with Sorbothane and rest the speakers straight on speaker stands (weigh ~180Kg each)
B - Place weights on the back of the box (will need to be 26.6kg to equal the amp) to rebalance [if so what did they use?]
C - something else

Thanks

Build a frame in your soffit for the 110s, to hold them, then use sorbothane like washers. Or bolt the speakers down to the frame, using sorbothane between the frame the speaker.

In pro they flush mount 110s all the time and mount the amps remotely (usually just below the speaker to keep speaker cables short). They would not use sorbothane, they would fit the frame to hold the 100s tightly and perhaps use sorbothane or something like it to prevent buzzing.

Brad
Brad Lunde
Lone Mountain Audio, part of TransAudio Group
ATC Importers USA

Return to Technical area