ATC amp pack vs other ATC amps

ATC & other manufacturers design parameters, technical queries etc

ATC amp pack vs other ATC amps

Postby lieberung » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:25 pm

Out of curiosity, how does the standard amp pack compare design wise /performance wise against the other ATC amplifiers?

Has anyone tried the same sized ATC active vs passive with ATC amplifiers?
From the below images it seems the amp pack and SIA 2 use many of the same components, like EI transformer and similar capacitors.

In comparison to the P1/P2 which use toroidal transformers.
Which might mean nothing for all I know..
Edit: rephrasing, typos
Speakers: ATC SCM50 ASLT, Source: PC, fully specced Empirical Audio Off-ramp 5 w/Dynamo psu, DAC: Audio-GD Master 7, Preamp: Audio-GD Master 1, CDP: Audiolab CDQ8200

Re: ATC amp pack vs other ATC amps

Postby lieberung » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:59 pm

Nearly 100 views, no comments... No one here at least compared actives vs passives with ATC amplification?
Speakers: ATC SCM50 ASLT, Source: PC, fully specced Empirical Audio Off-ramp 5 w/Dynamo psu, DAC: Audio-GD Master 7, Preamp: Audio-GD Master 1, CDP: Audiolab CDQ8200

Postby MattSPL » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:30 pm

Hi,

I've tried ATC actives and passives, but not the same models I'm afraid. From spending years with passive systems, I'm now converted to active. I feel they offer superior sound and better value generally.

Cheers
Matt
Sony BDP-S790 > Matrix Quattro Dac > Digidesign RM2's with SB Acoustics drivers > DIY Dayton Audio UM18-22 Sub

Postby studioman » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:14 pm

I can't answer the question directly, but anecdotally...
For a long time I used a pair of Celef RT-1 speakers (Celef, now ProAc's top model at the time.) These wonderful speakers used ATC bass units.
These were passive but were absolutely superb. I used them passively for many years and knew them intimately.
When I first discovered ATC active speakers, there was no way I could afford them, but it led me to investigate the possibility of running my speakers into active mode.
I built my own 3 way stereo crossover and used 3 unmatched stereo amps, rigged up to the drive units after I had removed the passive crossovers. The difference was chalk and cheese. Cheese being better....
So this wasn't any kind of controlled experiment, but it did lead me into developing an appreciation of the superior clarity that many active systems tend to offer.
They say if you can remember the 60's, you weren't really there. Now somehow I have reached 62...oh shit, it's 63 now....How and when did THAT happen?....there's a lesson there somewhere if only I could figure it out...

Postby Alexk » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:48 pm

Active will always >> passive unless there's something wrong with the active setup.

There are practical reasons why passive is sometimes better (for example in PA cabinets where active just means more cabling and racks of amplifiers to tour with), but from a purely sonic viewpoint, the speaker designer always has better options open to them with an active design...

Postby lieberung » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:14 am

Thanks for your feedback. So most agree on that in their experience they prefer active over passive. Have anyone compared active ATC with regular amp pack vs discrete amp pack and noticed differences?

Are ATC integrated and standalone pre and power amplifiers always discrete design?

Postby Brad Lunde » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:28 pm

I've done it, at a trade show no less. AXPONA last year we demo'd active 40s vs passive 40s with P1's. I've also done this with 20s, active and passive with P1's as well.

The results are always the same, active has superior resolution, audible in details (like reverb tails) and image quality. The spectral quality (tone) was so close as to be subjectively "the same", active having a bit more deep LF extension, but otherwise active and passive tonally sounding like exactly the same speaker. LF extension is a difficult detail to assess as your location in the room affects your perception of LF so much.

I would say when we switched between the two for the listeners, 95% would choose active. Some would choose passive because the image was more centered (actually less resolved) but some listeners understood this to be "better" to their ears. Knowing the recording helped to know which was "correct", so I can say with authority that active was always better.

Brad
Brad Lunde
Lone Mountain Audio, part of TransAudio Group
ATC Importers USA

Postby linger63 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:09 am

Always enjoy your posts Brad.

When it comes to anything ATC............. you really know your s***..... ;)

Return to Technical area