Base needed for 19A's on a shag carpet?

ATC & other manufacturers design parameters, technical queries etc

Base needed for 19A's on a shag carpet?

Postby highstream » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:16 pm

I have a pair of SCM19A's and have a question about set up. I've got them on a moderate depth shag carpet. My "natural audiophile" inclination is to want to raise them a little, maybe 1-2" (1-5 cm) off that, to get the least floor effect and cleaner bass. Do you think that's actually necessary with these? If so, the long spikes don't seem like a great idea on shag carpet (and make the speakers nearly impossible to move). I've seen the Auralex Subdude II online, which is 1.75" and at 15"x15" is of sufficient size (about 13"x14" minimum is needed), although I don't know if its construction is right for a floorstander (vs. a low profile sub). Any other (not so expensive) ideas? Thanks,

Re: Base needed for 19A's on a shag carpet?

Postby MattSPL » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:22 pm

Are cosmetics an issue? I use 400 x 400mm concrete paving slabs under my speaker stands.
Sony BDP-S790 > Matrix Quattro Dac > Digidesign RM2's with SB Acoustics drivers > DIY Dayton Audio UM18-22 Sub

Postby highstream » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:25 pm

Yes, within reason. Something black or that can be made black would be best. Polished granite might work.

Postby darrenyeats » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:37 pm

The SCM19A's bass driver is higher than in the SCM40 and SCM50 for example. You might want to experiment with raising the height with something else before spending money, in case you don't like what it does.

Postby linger63 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:43 am

highstream wrote:I have a pair of SCM19A's and have a question about set up. I've got them on a moderate depth shag carpet. My "natural audiophile" inclination is to want to raise them a little, maybe 1-2" (1-5 cm) off that, to get the least floor effect and cleaner bass. Do you think that's actually necessary with these? If so, the long spikes don't seem like a great idea on shag carpet (and make the speakers nearly impossible to move). I've seen the Auralex Subdude II online, which is 1.75" and at 15"x15" is of sufficient size (about 13"x14" minimum is needed), although I don't know if its construction is right for a floorstander (vs. a low profile sub). Any other (not so expensive) ideas? Thanks,

Don't worry too much about the bass as much as getting the height right in relation to your listening positions ear height.

Very important to have the acoustic centre of the speaker at the right level.........

Try listening with the tweeter at various points starting just below ear height working upwards.........you will hear quite audible differences.

Combine these moves with some experimental toe in and you should be optimised!!!

The bass will take care of itself IME..........it cares more about the back wall.

FWIW ..........I have my SCM 70 ASL's on FOUR cheap 1" paving slabs each.
This put their acoustic centre ( halfway between dome mid and tweeter) at ear height for my MLP and made a big difference.

Maybe, if anything, bass got tighter as "floor bounce" was reduced plus they now sit on very inert bases!!!

Good Luck

Postby highstream » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:31 am

Thanks. Yes, half way between the speakers is what I'm aiming for. It's strange, though, because I've measured floor to ear in my seat position and it always comes out about 38", which puts my ear close to the top of the speaker, but from where I siit the tweeter looks like it's above me.

Postby darrenyeats » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:40 am

Linger63 makes a good point. One option that's always on the table is getting lower seating. In this case IMO, worth considering even more. But even if the tweeter just looks above you, there's no issue! +/-10 degrees vertically is the spec, and it seems you're comfortably within that.

Postby linger63 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:53 am

Apologies to MattSPL and DarrenYeats........

Somehow I only saw the OP's post and missed your already helpful replies.

Had no intention of simply re stating your excellent comments!!!

Highstream.........

If you MUST know you could just measure how high the tweeter is off the ground compared with the 38" your ears are at.

If anything............having the tweeter a little bit higher is probably a good thing as it means the mid is a now bit closer to ear level too.

One of my mates has Canton Vento Reference One DC's which have a large thick plinth base. (like B&W 800 series)
He actually sits on an extra cushion to get his ears at the best height when he wants to listen seriously.

Anyway......... as Darren says........... you could always adjust the MLP if required.

Postby MattSPL » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:44 pm

No problem linger63, I'm glad you have success with the paving slabs too. They aren't very wife friendly, but she puts up with my Hifi :)
Sony BDP-S790 > Matrix Quattro Dac > Digidesign RM2's with SB Acoustics drivers > DIY Dayton Audio UM18-22 Sub

Postby linger63 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:43 pm

MattSPL wrote:No problem linger63, I'm glad you have success with the paving slabs too. They aren't very wife friendly, but she puts up with my Hifi :)

Good on her..........hang on to that one!!! :D

Just me at my place........

Postby highstream » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:51 pm

Seat height can't be adjusted. Isoacoustics just came out with an elegant solution, unfortunately a bit pricier than I would like (GAIA III): http://www.isoacoustics.com/isoacoustic ... nd-canada/.

Postby MattSPL » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:28 pm

linger63 wrote:
MattSPL wrote:No problem linger63, I'm glad you have success with the paving slabs too. They aren't very wife friendly, but she puts up with my Hifi :)

Good on her..........hang on to that one!!! :D

Just me at my place........

I had a pair of PMC IB1's when we met, so I guess they made it known I like big speakers :lol:

Return to Technical area