Difference between ATC SCM20 and ATC SCM20PSL PRO?

ATC & other manufacturers design parameters, technical queries etc
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:28 pm

Difference between ATC SCM20 and ATC SCM20PSL PRO?

Postby idkwho » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:04 pm

Hello can anyone here tell me the difference between the Consumer ATC SCM20 and the ATC SCM20PSL PRO?

I am considering purchasing the ATC SCM20PSL PRO instead of the SCM20 as it is around £500 cheaper however it seems strange so I'm wondering where they have cut costs in the pro model. Any information of the cabinet material?

Another part I found was strange was the crossover frequency of the SCM20PSL PRO on the data sheet it states the crossover frequency is 2.5khz while the website and user manual states 2.1khz. Which one is true?

Posts: 421
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:01 pm
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada, USA

Re: Difference between ATC SCM20 and ATC SCM20PSL PRO?

Postby Brad Lunde » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:56 pm

idkwho wrote:Hello can anyone here tell me the difference between the Consumer ATC SCM20 and the ATC SCM20PSL PRO?

I am considering purchasing the ATC SCM20PSL PRO instead of the SCM20 as it is around £500 cheaper however it seems strange so I'm wondering where they have cut costs in the pro model. Any information of the cabinet material?

Another part I found was strange was the crossover frequency of the SCM20PSL PRO on the data sheet it states the crossover frequency is 2.5khz while the website and user manual states 2.1khz. Which one is true?


SCM20SLs (current version) is not just 500 more- they are a LOT more. Very very limited production, hand made, full size grille, veneer box, etc. Very few people buys these. Most people buy the SCM 19, which is a lot less and uses the consumer version of the tweeter.

SCM20PSL PRO uses the S higher power tweeter, a different crossover, pro back paint, no grille option, crossover is 2800KHz.

Brad
Brad Lunde
Lone Mountain Audio, part of TransAudio Group
ATC Importers USA

Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:28 pm

Re: Difference between ATC SCM20 and ATC SCM20PSL PRO?

Postby idkwho » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:26 pm

I looked around and they are around £500 apart:

ATC SCM20PSL PRO

https://www.kmraudio.com/atc-scm20psl-pro-pair.php

ATC SCM20SL

http://www.audioaffair.co.uk/atc-scm20-sl-speakers-pair

Is it worth it to go for the PRO version over the consumer? One big difference I noticed is the consumer version weighs 22.7KG while the PRO only weighs 18KG.

Is this likely only to do with cosmetics and build quality or will one sound better than the other? I can't find any information on the material of the Passive SCM20PSL PROs cabinet is it metal like the Active SCM20ASL PROs?

Thanks Brad

User avatar
Posts: 195
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:47 pm
Location: UK

Re: Difference between ATC SCM20 and ATC SCM20PSL PRO?

Postby studioman » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:42 pm

idkwho wrote:Is this likely only to do with cosmetics and build quality or will one sound better than the other? I can't find any information on the material of the Passive SCM20PSL PROs cabinet is it metal like the Active SCM20ASL PROs?


I found this, which mentions the materials used, I think:

As implied by name, the active model replaces the previous-generation SCM20ASL Pro, while the passive model is an allnew affair, providing an entry point into ATC studio monitoring at a lower price point, albeit without compromising component quality over features.
Both models feature ATC’s renowned drive units, hand built in its UK facility. Of particular note is the new SH-25-76S 25mm/one-inch soft dome tweeter, the first to be designed and built by ATC, and the result of six years of research and development by Managing Director Billy Woodman and R&D Engineer Richard Newman. “The tweeter is designed and built with the same no-compromise philosophy as all other ATC drive units,” notes Newman, before continuing: “The design takes notes from the highly-regarded ATC midrange dome by utilising a dual-suspension design, negating the requirement for Ferro-fluid, and avoiding the detrimental effects of this drying out over time, a feature considered to be of utmost importance for longterm consistency.” The massive neodymium motor with heat-treated top plate is optimised to ensure an extended frequency response (-6dB @ 26kHz) and low non-linear distortion. The geometry of the waveguide is designed for optimum dispersion and made from a precision-machined alloy so that the entire structure is extremely rigid and free from resonances.
The bass/mid driver used in both loudspeakers is ATC’s proprietary 150mm/six-inch Super Linear device. Constructed with a 75mm/three-inch voice coil and a short-coil, long-gap topology, it combines the high-power handling and low-power compression usually only found in large, high-efficiency systems with the fine resolution and balance of modern high-fidelity systems. Unique to the drive unit is ATC’s Super Linear technology, which, by employing specialist materials in the magnetic circuit, reduces third harmonic distortion in the lower midrange.
The electronics in the active design have also had considerable development time invested in them, resulting in reduced noise and distortion (a further -10dB @ 10kHz) and a reduced operating temperature for improved reliability. The amplifier design is a revised version of ATC’s discrete MOSFET Class A/B design with 200W and 50W continuous power available for the bass and high frequency sections, respectively. The user controls have also been improved over the previous generation with more flexible input sensitivity controls and a revised low frequency shelf control to help achieve good balance in difficult acoustic conditions. The amplifier includes protection circuits for both DC offset and thermal overload.
The cabinet has been restyled to more closely follow the larger monitors in ATC’s professional range and is constructed from heavily-braced MDF. Highly damped, elastometric panels are bonded and stapled to the cabinet’s inner walls to suppress cabinet panel resonances, while the enclosure’s front panel is heavily radiused to reduce cabinet diffraction, improving the frequency response and imaging. The loudspeaker can be wall mounted via a K&M 24120 Wall Mount (available separately). Note that the cabinet requires modification to accept the ‘top-hat’ mount.
Ideally suited to critical nearfield listening applications in all control rooms, LCR surround monitoring in small-to-medium control rooms, and surround channels in medium-to-large control rooms, anyone looking to seriously improve their reference nearfield monitoring experience surely owe it to themselves and their studio setup to take a listen to the SCM20ASL Pro (V2) and/or the SCM20PSL Pro in action? EQ, balance, and edit faster, with more consistent results and reduced listening fatigue using the latest reference nearfields from ATC.
The SCM20PSL Pro passive high-performance loudspeakers carry a UK RRP of £2,083.00 GBP (plus VAT) per pair; the SCM20ASL Pro (V2) active high-performance loudspeakers carry a UK RRP of £3,647.00 GBP (plus VAT) per pair.


I hope that helps you decide.
They say if you can remember the 60's, you weren't really there. Now somehow I have reached 62...oh shit, it's 63 now....How and when did THAT happen?....there's a lesson there somewhere if only I could figure it out...

Posts: 421
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:01 pm
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada, USA

Re: Difference between ATC SCM20 and ATC SCM20PSL PRO?

Postby Brad Lunde » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:53 am

idkwho wrote:I looked around and they are around £500 apart:

ATC SCM20PSL PRO

https://www.kmraudio.com/atc-scm20psl-pro-pair.php

ATC SCM20SL

http://www.audioaffair.co.uk/atc-scm20-sl-speakers-pair

Is it worth it to go for the PRO version over the consumer? One big difference I noticed is the consumer version weighs 22.7KG while the PRO only weighs 18KG.

Is this likely only to do with cosmetics and build quality or will one sound better than the other? I can't find any information on the material of the Passive SCM20PSL PROs cabinet is it metal like the Active SCM20ASL PROs?

Thanks Brad


There is some confusion in the ATC numbering scheme with the 20. In the consumer line, everything has moved to the SCM19 except one special order speaker, the passive tower 20. It is a special order speaker, hand built cabinet with veneer, not curved, looks like the classic monitors. This speaker is not usually stocked by dealers. It is a LOT more than SCM 19s (consumer) and SCM 20s (pro). There is no "advantage" of this pro 20 vs the SCM 19. Pro 20s are wood now, not metal.

So for most of us, forget about the 20 unless you are a studio.

Brad
Brad Lunde
Lone Mountain Audio, part of TransAudio Group
ATC Importers USA

Return to Technical area

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest