scm 50a upgrades

ATC & other manufacturers design parameters, technical queries etc

scm 50a upgrades

Postby robski » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:46 pm

ive tried emailing atc recently and had no response. so i phoned them Thursday last week and starting asking my question and was told they only really respond to email and i should contact a mr Guppy. seem to be on a bit of a run around here. So before i persevere with the black hole of emails. maybe help or suggestions here will be a way forward.
ive a pair of 1997 built scm 50 a with a 1997 built sca2. the speakers are sl modified about 8 years ago and the treble units are 2 years old( their own). over the years ive had the caps done and serviced some 5 years ago. where the mid cones were replaced the only thing im asking is about the port change made several years ago and would a baffle change bring about any sonic gain. the sca2 was serviced at same time no issue there. the other question is considering their age albeit drive units are current would i benefit from selling the old girls and buying towers either 50s or 100s. or the other option is a sub.

Re: scm 50a upgrades

Postby Brad Lunde » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:13 pm

robski wrote:ive tried emailing atc recently and had no response. so i phoned them Thursday last week and starting asking my question and was told they only really respond to email and i should contact a mr Guppy. seem to be on a bit of a run around here. So before i persevere with the black hole of emails. maybe help or suggestions here will be a way forward.
ive a pair of 1997 built scm 50 a with a 1997 built sca2. the speakers are sl modified about 8 years ago and the treble units are 2 years old( their own). over the years ive had the caps done and serviced some 5 years ago. where the mid cones were replaced the only thing im asking is about the port change made several years ago and would a baffle change bring about any sonic gain. the sca2 was serviced at same time no issue there. the other question is considering their age albeit drive units are current would i benefit from selling the old girls and buying towers either 50s or 100s. or the other option is a sub.

Oh that's frustrating, but Ill explain. Peter Guppy is from the electronics side of ATC and was recently put in charge of repairs and service, so thats why the redirect. Peter is often not on site so that's why email for him. He's very good about responding.

Ben is the one who would answer such questions in the past and he's the one who is hard to reach via email because he's also the field engineer for sales and often on the road in China or the states - so that's why better off with phone calls for him. Did they give you Peter's email?.

1997 50s that were updated with SL and new tweeter should be good. I would think the baffle would not be much of an upgrade, the port issue could be enquired about with Peter but I don't remember any discussion of sonic improvements via port changes over the years (since 2001). But I might have missed that since it was well before 2001/2002 when I started with them. I have never heard of them suggesting a baffle change for this reason. Baffle changes were usually recommended to get either the moveable tweeter option for horizontal mounting of monitors in pro environment, or to get the new tweeter closer to the midrange, or to go from square edge grille baffles to radius edge [no grille] baffles. Do you have Mark 4 amps? Not sure if that was the amp pack version in 1997. If not, an upgrade to Mark 4 Amp Packs would be helpful. Or, here's something that would be a great idea if you have the funds, an ATC P6 would be a huge upgrade- switching to discrete amps- if you could keep the cables short. The amps is about as expensive as new tower active 50s. That's the amp normally with the EL150s and the same basic design on the amps in the SE's and Anniversary's. You've have to take your speakers to the factory for calibration to any new amp pack or P6. Another idea is new cabinets for a different veneer, or perhaps go to tower size, just move all your parts over if you have Mark 4 amp packs already. It would not sound different, but cosmetics are important sometimes.

Brad
Brad Lunde
Lone Mountain Audio, part of TransAudio Group
ATC Importers USA

Postby Lemen » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:46 pm

robski wrote:ive tried emailing atc recently and had no response. so i phoned them Thursday last week and starting asking my question and was told they only really respond to email and i should contact a mr Guppy. seem to be on a bit of a run around here. So before i persevere with the black hole of emails. maybe help or suggestions here will be a way forward.

My pair of 50 anniversary speakers should be on the way back to me next week.
The amplifiers have needed work and whilst the speakers were with ATC I have had the tweeter upgrade done and have also gone for new baffles, where the smaller diameter tweeter waveguide/mounting plate has been moved down so as to be closer to the midrange (as Brad has described above).

Regarding port size; I've noticed that the port size can vary and is indeed larger on some speakers. I've not enquired about port size at all, so it'll be interesting to see if the port diameter remains the same as the original baffles or will be of larger diameter.

I have been dealing with Peter Guppy via email for the whole upgrade/rework process and have found him to be exceptional in responding to email and answering any questions. I have his email if you need it.

Regards
Lemen.
ATC SCM50 ASLT Anniversary (gloss white)

Postby Brad Lunde » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:23 pm

Lemen wrote:

My pair of 50 anniversary speakers should be on the way back to me next week.
<SNIP>

Regards
Lemen.

Anniversary 50s are amazing. Really one of the best set ups for home there is. That's what I would like myself!
Brad
Brad Lunde
ATC Importers USA

Postby darrenyeats » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:47 am

Brad Lunde wrote:Not sure if that was the amp pack version in 1997. If not, an upgrade to Mark 4 Amp Packs would be helpful.

I think the Mark 4 amps were phased in around the mid noughties.

Postby robski » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:24 pm

just an update. as said i would get a reply. My 50s need nothing as they are still sonically the same as what comes out the factory currently. electronically a service in a few years as they only need attention every 10 to 12 years. maybe then a recap and mid cones, the port makes no difference unless they are driven loud. so im happy to know after 20 years of ownership they are still current. atc never mentioned calibrating the treble units so im guessing the tweek is almost inaudible.
Still thinking of the 100 towers though.

Postby AlmaataKZ » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:34 pm

A sub is an option, too. I would not be without one. Is a demo at the factory an optionfor you?
iMac/Bluray/PVR - Marantz SR7008 - 7.1 ATC SCM50SLAT fronts, C1C centre, SCM7 rears, MonitoAudio M3 rear surr, C4 sub
Airplay multiroom (aex to genelec 6010, b&w mm1, avi dm10)
System here: http://atcforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=667

Postby Brad Lunde » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:24 pm

robski wrote:just an update. as said i would get a reply. My 50s need nothing as they are still sonically the same as what comes out the factory currently. electronically a service in a few years as they only need attention every 10 to 12 years. maybe then a recap and mid cones, the port makes no difference unless they are driven loud. so im happy to know after 20 years of ownership they are still current. atc never mentioned calibrating the treble units so im guessing the tweek is almost inaudible.

Would add a bit of low end and that's about it. But you have anniversary 50s, so I would think EL150s is the real upgrade.
Brad
Last edited by Brad Lunde on Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brad Lunde
ATC Importers USA

Postby MevDinc » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:16 am

Brad Lunde wrote:
robski wrote:just an update. as said i would get a reply. My 50s need nothing as they are still sonically the same as what comes out the factory currently. electronically a service in a few years as they only need attention every 10 to 12 years. maybe then a recap and mid cones, the port makes no difference unless they are driven loud. so im happy to know after 20 years of ownership they are still current. atc never mentioned calibrating the treble units so im guessing the tweek is almost inaudible.

Would add a bit of low end and that's about it. But you have anniversary 50s, so I would think EL150s is real upgrade.
Brad

Even going up from the 100As to my current EL 150As was a huge upgrade! :)
Audirvana+3.0 - Mac Mini, Lindermann Musicbook 20 DSD, ATC EL 150ASL (with the ATC tweeter!)

Return to Technical area