Replacing bass driver on new SMC40v2

ATC & other manufacturers design parameters, technical queries etc

Replacing bass driver on new SMC40v2

Postby marba1065 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:29 pm

Hello all and please to meet you.

Due to my mistake, I have to replace the "left" bass driver on my new SMC 40 v2 with a new one (which already have been ordered to local ATC's representative).

I got these speakers, brand new, just one week ago. :cry:

My questions:

1) The new left bass driver, which is expected at the end of month, will sound different from the bass driver on the right speaker? Because the right bass driver - at the time end of the month - will have about 40-50 hours of operation.
2) Is there any "seal" or any "gasket" between the bass driver and the cabin?
3) Is there any torque settings we need to know, when tightening the screws?

Thanks in advance,

Manos

Re: Replacing bass driver on new SMC40v2

Postby hifi-dog » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:20 pm

Oh dear! They shouldn’t sound different as they are referenced to a control one and Atc don’t make out of tolerance units! There will be a foam gasket and I would do them up just tight enough and a tweak more- not aware if specific torque settings
How did you destroy a new driver?
Audiolab 8200cd, Rega p3/24 (inspire hifi mods) puresound p10 phono, Atc sia2-150, PMC twenty.23 - Tellurium black throughout.

Postby studioman » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:02 pm

marba1065 wrote:Hello all and please to meet you.

Due to my mistake, I have to replace the "left" bass driver on my new SMC 40 v2 with a new one (which already have been ordered to local ATC's representative).

I got these speakers, brand new, just one week ago. :cry:

My questions:

1) The new left bass driver, which is expected at the end of month, will sound different from the bass driver on the right speaker? Because the right bass driver - at the time end of the month - will have about 40-50 hours of operation.
2) Is there any "seal" or any "gasket" between the bass driver and the cabin?
3) Is there any torque settings we need to know, when tightening the screws?

Thanks in advance,

Manos

For an SCM 50, ATC say to use 1.0 Nm for the tweeters (external security hex screws, as the internal ones close to the dome are 2.0 according to SEAS), 1.5 Nm for the mid and bass, and 1.3 Nm for the rest on the baffle. That may act as a guide for you.
They say if you can remember the 60's, you weren't really there. Now somehow I have reached 63...oh shit, it's 64 now....How and when did THAT happen?....there's a lesson there somewhere if only I could figure it out...

Postby marba1065 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:05 pm

hifi-dog wrote:How did you destroy a new driver?

Baby boy holding Parker pen vs ATC 40's bass unit: 1-0!

:P

Thanks a lot for your answers.

Postby Brad Lunde » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:51 am

In all the years I've worked with ATC (16) I've never had someone say a new or reconed bass driver sounds different from the other one in the other channel. Same with midrange or a tweeter. Its not happened and sometimes these units are mastering engineers. As long as it is the same model, you are good.

Brad
Brad Lunde
Lone Mountain Audio, part of TransAudio Group
ATC Importers USA

Postby marba1065 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:42 am

Brad Lunde wrote:In all the years I've worked with ATC (16) I've never had someone say a new or reconed bass driver sounds different from the other one in the other channel. Same with midrange or a tweeter. Its not happened and sometimes these units are mastering engineers. As long as it is the same model, you are good.

Brad

Good morning and thanks a lot, Brad.

Return to Technical area