Cabinet amends / HQ Lacquer

ATC & other manufacturers design parameters, technical queries etc

Cabinet amends / HQ Lacquer

Postby Alastair » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:38 am

Hi all,

Before posting this I tried to ressurect an older thread around refurbing 100as but had a repeatable sql error message.

Basically the situation - I am looking for a pair of 100as and ideally they're will be black ash or piano black. Given I am ok with older classic scms I anticipate them to be a little beaten and or the wrong colour....thus needing some work.

So my question, aside from the likes of Clive Grace (Fox) who I know transformed an older pair (but locally to him I think?) has anyone any experience to share regarding taking a wood such as walnut and transforming it to piano black? Any issues? Quality good? Was this with HQ Lacquers?

Thanks in advance,
Alastair
Sys 1: ATC SCM100A, C1C, SCM11, C6 / Audiolab 8000x7, 8000MM / dCS Network Bridge, Purcell, Elgar Plus / Oppo 203 / Emotiva XMC-1
Sys 2: Meridian DSP5000 96/24, AC200, 500
Roon, Tidal, Dirac

Re: Cabinet amends / HQ Lacquer

Postby studioman » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:59 pm

You are best to strip the components out of the cabinet, and sand it down, and use white spirit to get rid of any polish that has been applied, or finger grease. You would need to use a grain filler with a spreader, and just keep filling the existing grain until it is as 'flat' as possible. It takes some time if doing it manually. Any serious issues (gashes) will have to be dealt with in a different way. Car body filler can be used quite successfully. Spraying such a large area is not for an amateur. And you will use LOTS of cans of spray paint, sand much of it away again when you flatten it in between coats, it will cost you a lot in time, effort and the cost of perhaps 20 cans. Or you can approach a car resprayer, get him to prime, undercoat, and top coat it, in MUCH less time and with much more success than you can do it. There are one or two companies who are used to doing speaker cabs and furniture...one quoted me something like £260 per cabinet a couple of years ago. If you're in the UK I could look that company up for you....
They say if you can remember the 60's, you weren't really there. Now somehow I have reached 63...oh shit, it's 64 now....How and when did THAT happen?....there's a lesson there somewhere if only I could figure it out...

Re: Cabinet amends / HQ Lacquer

Postby Alastair » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:00 pm

Super, thank you for the response - I will definitely be in contact should things progress. Yes, based in the UK.
Sys 1: ATC SCM100A, C1C, SCM11, C6 / Audiolab 8000x7, 8000MM / dCS Network Bridge, Purcell, Elgar Plus / Oppo 203 / Emotiva XMC-1
Sys 2: Meridian DSP5000 96/24, AC200, 500
Roon, Tidal, Dirac

Return to Technical area