ATC curved SCM40 Active

ATC & other latest product news

Re: ATC curved SCM40 Active

Postby MevDinc » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:19 pm

I only agreed on the "the absolute Bang for the buck" bit and ATC SCM40As are truly great value,
but no way I'd say they are as good or better than the 50s or 100s!

The Super versions of the Mid Dome and the tweeter are so much better, and so they should be for all that extra quality and price.
It's a question of whether you want that extra bit of ATC quality for quite a bit more money!
Audirvana+3.0 - Mac Mini, Lindermann Musicbook 20 DSD, ATC EL 150ASL (with the ATC tweeter!)

Postby linger63 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:00 pm

MevDinc wrote:I only agreed on the "the absolute Bang for the buck" bit and ATC SCM40As are truly great value,
but no way I'd say they are as good or better than the 50s or 100s!

The Super versions of the Mid Dome and the tweeter are so much better, and so they should be for all that extra quality and price.
It's a question of whether you want that extra bit of ATC quality for quite a bit more money!

And don't forget the 40A's also miss out on the "SL" spec bass driver and get lesser quality amps too!!

Another couple of reasons why they are listed under "Entry Series" on ATC's website.

Re that extra "bit"..........to some owners that "bit" is...............THE bit!!!!!!...............a quite LARGE bit!!!!.............LOL

Agreed on the quite a bit more money!!!..........Regarding "bang for buck" IMHO.........some of the PRO Series models also seem very worthy!!!

Anyway.......nice that ATC are offering even more price points to choose actives from these days with the likes of the 19A and also PRO Series models like the 25A and 45A

Sigh........would LOVE to upgrade the SEAS tweeters in my 70ASL's and C5CA to the new in house S spec tweeter!!!.............maybe one day :(

If you are into ATC...........being in Australia sucks!!!!

Postby MevDinc » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:23 pm

:D
Of course, the ATC Bit is more like a Byte :)
Audirvana+3.0 - Mac Mini, Lindermann Musicbook 20 DSD, ATC EL 150ASL (with the ATC tweeter!)

Postby simonthepieman » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:55 pm

Ok Guys perhaps it is difficult to explain

on the day I listened to the SE 50's If I am correct so special finished cabinets and top rear mounted amps
not the usual amp and possibly not as good as the normal 50 amps? Ask Richard if this is true?

Seriously if i didn't already own 100's I would buy the active 40's

So a little update on my new tweeters. My room I believe has a tendancy to suck bass.

This is of course about the new tweeters, however as well as being more natural i.e instruments sound more realistic
all the reverb and spatial information which makes a Piano sound like one.

Sound stage deeper, wider , please remember the front baffle of a 100 is just a flat rectangle (not like the 40's which
have a much smaller baffle) the speakers disappear (stupid to say as they are like bloody fridges in the room conspicuous Not !) fabulous improvement.

The most fundamental difference is the treble, the detail is present etc but with a huge dose of niceness, if that's the correct term? Perhaps its like valve amplification? having said that I have yet to hear anything Valve Power amplifier wise that sounds accurate.

Frankly over the moon, I took them and left them for a couple of weeks new tweeters and amps serviced a few new capacitors here and there .

I have stopped watching TV and am considering the purchase of a serious Turntable to replace my Linn.

Most music is lossless ripped from CD plus Hi res downloads through a PS Audio Direct Stream Dac
firmware upgradeable and the latest torreys firmware is incredible.

I just want that old skool record thing particularly as new vinyl is released every day !

If you can get yours back the the factory, seriously it will be the best, most value for money upgrade
mine are at least 20 yrs old and sound incredible

The 40A's are without doubt the bargain of the range , but somehow daft punk RAM in hi res suits the 100's
we are talking Night Club levels of controlled bass which is Bloody Groovey !

Previous

Return to Latest news