New ATC P2 Power Amplifier

ATC & other latest product news

New ATC P2 Power Amplifier

Postby ATC Loudspeakers » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:10 pm

Good Morning All,

We are very excited to announce the launch of a new product, the P2 Power Amplifier. The P2 generates 300W/Ch - twice the power of its smaller P1 sibling! It will drive the most challenging loudspeakers with ATC’s signature virtues of wide bandwidth and ultra-low distortion. The ATC P2 is a Dual-Mono design, keeping the power supplies, signal and return paths discreet. This approach ensures that the amplifier will achieve the maximum signal separation with minimal crosstalk, and that intermodulation between channels via the power supplies is reduced to an absolute minimum across a frequency range of 400kHz. It also means that the power delivery from one channel cannot affect the specified power available from the other.

As many of you know, this product has been a long time in the making and this has been due to two major factors:
1. New Top Cover/Lid Design
2. New Power Supply Design

1. New Top Cover/Lid Design
Your feedback over the past few years has been that the cover/lid on the P1 amplifier was too light and you wanted a thicker, heavier construction. We’ve been listening and have made this update to the P2. The lid/cover thickness has been increased by 30%. The result is stiffer and heavier and gives the ‘feel’ of much higher quality. This is not the only change! The design of the venting has also been revised; the steel mesh covering the heatsink vents has been replaced by a beautiful acid-etched stainless steel insert. Not only does this component greatly enhance the amplifier visuals, it also reduces lid/cover vibration.

2. New Power Supply Design
The P2’s power supply includes a massive, custom-made 400 VA low-noise transformer for each channel. The final design of these transformers is the result of seven design iterations with the goal of achieving best possible audio performance and lowest possible mechanical noise. This was achieved by using a very high grade steel core which is then vacuum impregnated with high temperature resin, post winding. The mains power ‘soft-start’ feature has also been revised, slowing the rate at which the unit powers up. We’ll leave you to give us the final verdict but, we’re confident you’ll be very impressed!

Features
• Latest ATC discrete MOSFET grounded source output stage.
• Class A/B topology.
• 300W into 8 ohm continuous power O/P capability.
• Dual mono-design ensures minimal crosstalk and inter-channel modulation.
• Entirely separate power supplies for high voltage audio, low voltage audio and logic/control.
• 400kHz bandwidth to ensure best possible transient reproduction.
• Vanishingly low distortion.
• Custom low noise toroidal transformers.
• New chassis design for reduced vibration and a more striking visual appearance.

P2 Specifications
• Max Continuous Output Power : 300W (8Ω, 1% THD)
• Input Sensitivity : 2V rms (ref. 150W out)
• Input Impedance : 10kΩ/leg
• Frequency Response : <2Hz – >400kHz (-3dB)
• Signal to Noise Ratio : >110dB (DIN)
• Crosstalk : >100dB
• THD : >0.002%/-95dB
• Dimensions (HxWxD) : 141x448x337mm (5.6˝x17.6˝x13.3˝)
• Weight : 30kg / 66lbs
• 6 year warranty

The P2 will be available from Monday 7th November and carries a UK retail price of £3125 inc. VAT (20%).

Best Wishes,

Ben.

Re: New ATC P2 Power Amplifier

Postby MattSPL » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:05 pm

The P2 looks good :)
I look forward to hearing more :)
Sony BDP-S790 > Matrix Quattro Dac > Digidesign RM2's with SB Acoustics drivers > DIY Dayton Audio UM18-22 Sub

Postby Flatovercrest » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:28 am

I wish it was available when I had the 40`s .... Although I shouldn't moan as I have 50 A`s :D

I have often wondered, that as passive speakers are good for 300W, why not offer a 300W amp. Now I know :-)
Alex.

ATC SCM50ASL`s, ATC SCA2 Preamp, Aune CD Pro transport kit, DDDAC 16 stack Dac, Lots of room treatment.

Postby AlmaataKZ » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:21 pm

Nice one! Great spec and great refinements to external design! Quality!

Talking new products - Any chance of a small a active centre (c1 sized)?
iMac/Bluray/PVR - Marantz SR7008 - 7.1 ATC SCM50SLAT fronts, C1C centre, SCM7 rears, MonitoAudio M3 rear surr, C4 sub
Airplay multiroom (aex to genelec 6010, b&w mm1, avi dm10)
System here: http://atcforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=667

Postby ATC Loudspeakers » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:06 pm

AlmaataKZ wrote:Nice one! Great spec and great refinements to external design! Quality!
Talking new products - Any chance of a small a active centre (c1 sized)?

Here's a close up of the new lid/cover with the acid etched insert. Using a corrosive process to remove the material (rather than mechanical) means that finer detail is possible.
Sorry, no small active centre is in the development programme at the moment.

Best Wishes, Ben.

Postby Alexk » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:58 pm

Looks great! Can you make me one without an amplifier in it? I could find something to keep in it I'm sure...

Postby xtraktz » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:23 pm

Is P2 better than SPA2-150 for 50PSL ?
> MAC MINI (MD387|SSD|16GB|10.9.5) > LYNX HILO TB > ATC SCA2 > ATC SCM 50 ASLT

Postby linger63 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:51 am

xtraktz wrote:Is P2 better than SPA2-150 for 50PSL ?

Bit too general to answer simply IMHO.

Size of your room, source (s) and DAC?....PRE? are just a few considerations as they all play a role.

EG........based solely on specs.........P2 has an input sensitivity of 2V and offers 300W @ 8 ohms whereas the SPA2-150 has an input sensitivity of 1V and offers 150W @ 8 ohms...

If running an DAC/PRE straight into either amp input sensitivity is a MAJOR factor to consider.

It's quite possible the cheaper P1 with its 2V input sensitivity and 150W @ 8 ohms is an even better way for you to go.

Based on RRP I guess ATC think the SPA2-150 is the better amp but obviously you should listen to all of them regardless.

You may well end up with the SQ you want WITHOUT having to spend top dollar.

Postby xtraktz » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:23 pm

linger63 wrote:Bit too general to answer simply IMHO.

Size of your room, source (s) and DAC?....PRE? are just a few considerations as they all play a role.

EG........based solely on specs.........P2 has an input sensitivity of 2V and offers 300W @ 8 ohms whereas the SPA2-150 has an input sensitivity of 1V and offers 150W @ 8 ohms...

If running an DAC/PRE straight into either amp input sensitivity is a MAJOR factor to consider.

It's quite possible the cheaper P1 with its 2V input sensitivity and 150W @ 8 ohms is an even better way for you to go.

Based on RRP I guess ATC think the SPA2-150 is the better amp but obviously you should listen to all of them regardless.

3.5m X 5.5m is my room size.
I use Mac Mini (late 2012) with Thunderbolt connection + Lynx Hilo as DAC/Pre using the digital volume control for volume attenuation, amp is Plinius SA103.
Plinius/ATC is good match for my ears. But sometimes it seems to me that it would be nice to have more power for my SCM 50 classic, without loss in SQ.
I think to change my Plinius SA103 amp to SPA2-150 + SCA2 combo or save up for Plinius 250MK4/Reference/one more SA103 without preamp or its analogs such Krell Duo or Coda 15.5

Postby Brad Lunde » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:00 am

xtraktz wrote:
linger63 wrote:Bit too general to answer simply IMHO.

3.5m X 5.5m is my room size.
I use Mac Mini (late 2012) with Thunderbolt connection + Lynx Hilo as DAC/Pre using the digital volume control for volume attenuation, amp is Plinius SA103.
Plinius/ATC is good match for my ears. But sometimes it seems to me that it would be nice to have more power for my SCM 50 classic, without loss in SQ.
I think to change my Plinius SA103 amp to SPA2-150 + SCA2 combo or save up for Plinius 250MK4/Reference/one more SA103 without preamp or its analogs such Krell Duo or Coda 15.5

I think your amp is the P6! I somehow think you can get a deal on this amp, call your local dealer and say you heard there might be some extras at the factory.

SPA-150 late model is discrete so it is better than the late model P1. Earlier models and I am not so sure how they compare.
P1 and P2 each have a new transformer and the P2 definitely sounds better than the P1- more guts (low end) and better dynamics. These use the same design as the amp packs and they sound very good compared to their nearest $ competitors. Much better than most Class D amps, better than most Class A/B amps in the price range. Not as good as the super high end amps that cost 2 to 3 times the cost, but this is to be expected.
I've A/B'd the P1/P2 against Brystons 3B and 4B and this is a great demo to do.

Brad
Brad Lunde
Lone Mountain Audio, part of TransAudio Group
ATC Importers USA

Postby xtraktz » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:47 am

Brad Lunde wrote:I think your amp is the P6! I somehow think you can get a deal on this amp, call your local dealer and say you heard there might be some extras at the factory.

SPA-150 late model is discrete so it is better than the late model P1. Earlier models and I am not so sure how they compare.
P1 and P2 each have a new transformer and the P2 definitely sounds better than the P1- more guts (low end) and better dynamics. These use the same design as the amp packs and they sound very good compared to their nearest $ competitors. Much better than most Class D amps, better than most Class A/B amps in the price range. Not as good as the super high end amps that cost 2 to 3 times the cost, but this is to be expected.
I've A/B'd the P1/P2 against Brystons 3B and 4B and this is a great demo to do.

Brad

Thanks for your reply, Brad

P6 is very expensive for me and it is not presented in aftermarket here, in Russia. I view all these amps only on the aftermarket, not new. Maybe only P1 or P2 as new but I'm not sure that they are better than my Plinius amp.

What do you mean that SPA2-150 is discrete?

The best way for me is upgrade my 50 passive with seas to active with ATC tweeter but it is not possible here or will be very expensive.

Postby xtraktz » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:20 am

:?:

Return to Latest news