Disabling the Adverts on this forum...

ATC & other latest product news

Disabling the Adverts on this forum...

Postby studioman » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:11 am

This works and stops the ads in their tracks:

To get rid of adverts on the ATC forums, and all your other unwanted ads elsewhere, this is what you have to do:

1. Sign into Google....
2. Go to 'Account'.
3. Under 'Personal info & privacy, click the link 'Ads Settings'
4. On the next page in the box 'Ads Settings', click the capitalised 'MANAGE ADS SETTINGS'
5. The next page is currently titled 'Make the Ads you see more useful to you'. RIGHT AT THE BOTTOM is a link 'OPT OUT OF MORE ADS'. Click it.
6. This takes you to a page where ALL the advertising agencies have to be listed, and it gives you the chance to OPT OUT of each one.
This page is at: http://optout.aboutads.info/#!/ Click 'Select all' in the last column, and it will do its work.
7. I then save this page as a 'Favourite' (bookmark it) so that I can go back at any time to remove the final few 'AdChoices' that weren't stopped on the first run-through.

Now restart your web browser.

I had 135 agencies who were using google data to target me with ads. Two of them were unavailable for Opt-Out, presumably their servers were busy. I tried again a few minutes later and managed to opt out of one more.
I now still get ONE ad appearing on ATC forums, presumably related to the one agency that I didn't opt out of. But all the Mediterranean cruises, dishwashers, Russian brides looking for fat old neo-hippies have gone.
(kidding)
Last edited by studioman on Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
They say if you can remember the 60's, you weren't really there. Now somehow I have reached 63...oh shit, it's 64 now....How and when did THAT happen?....there's a lesson there somewhere if only I could figure it out...

Re: Disabling the Adverts on this forum...

Postby MattSPL » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:39 pm

Thanks for the rundown on fixing this David :)
Will these instructions apply when using Safari too?

Cheers
Matt
Sony BDP-S790 > Matrix Quattro Dac > Digidesign RM2's with SB Acoustics drivers > 2 x DIY Dayton Audio UM18-22 Sub

Postby studioman » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:28 pm

MattSPL wrote:Thanks for the rundown on fixing this David :)
Will these instructions apply when using Safari too?

Cheers
Matt

Hi Matt,
Yes, but you have to work on EACH device (computer/pad/phone) on which you have the problem, AND on EACH 'browser' that you use on each machine. I've got a Macbook and an iMac, so I had to do it on both. You may have to go into your settings and open your 'cookies' up temporarily to change, so that the website can analyse them.
I have saved the site as a 'favourite' on Safari, so that I can go back to it at any time and redo the process when other ads appear.
It is VERY worthwhile.
Let me know how you get on, Matt.
All the best, David
They say if you can remember the 60's, you weren't really there. Now somehow I have reached 63...oh shit, it's 64 now....How and when did THAT happen?....there's a lesson there somewhere if only I could figure it out...

Postby MattSPL » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:35 pm

Hi David

Worked a treat on my laptop in Chrome, I'll try it on my phone next as this is what I use most these days.

Cheers
Matt
Sony BDP-S790 > Matrix Quattro Dac > Digidesign RM2's with SB Acoustics drivers > 2 x DIY Dayton Audio UM18-22 Sub

Postby studioman » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:27 pm

MattSPL wrote:Hi David

Worked a treat on my laptop in Chrome, I'll try it on my phone next as this is what I use most these days.

Cheers
Matt

Fantastic, Matt. Glad to help.

Return to Latest news