Centre Speaker C4CA with 50ASL

ATC & other makes of Home Cinema equipment

Centre Speaker C4CA with 50ASL

Postby SergeiK » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:34 am

Good Day to All,

Some time has passed since my last traces here so by the time being a pair of active 50 tower and active 10-2 appeared in my system.

Thinking about building HT where the 50-th would go as front and the 10-th as a rear pair.

I understand this case the best option for centre is C3CA however the price for it is away too high here in Russia.

So considering alternative would wonder if C4CA (modern serie to match rear) can be used or would it bring total unbalance to the fronts?

thanx

Re: Centre Speaker C4CA with 50ASL

Postby AlmaataKZ » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:23 am

Wow, active surround!
FWIW, I am using passive C1C for centre (with active 50s for fronts and passive monitor audio 3 for rears) and not disappointed at all.
iMac/Bluray/PVR - Marantz SR7008 - 7.1 ATC SCM50SLAT fronts, C1C centre, SCM7 rears, MonitoAudio M3 rear surr, C4 sub
Airplay multiroom (aex to genelec 6010, b&w mm1, avi dm10)
System here: http://atcforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=667

Postby MattSPL » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:55 am

Sounds like a nice system SergeiK :)
Sony BDP-S790 > Matrix Quattro Dac > Digidesign RM2's with SB Acoustics drivers > DIY Dayton Audio UM18-22 Sub

Postby benny39 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:02 am

+1 this sounds like a very good system SergeiK :) as with AlmaataKZ I have been using the C1C along with scm50's with surprising results considering the obvious differences, I'm still on the fence whether or not to change to the C3C for a more full centre grip...but the C3CA would be very nice although very £££££
pioneer pdp5090. vsxlx70. bdplx71. ATC scm50asl classic, ATC C4 sub, Antelope Audio zodiac gold/voltikus,Purepower 1050i, Apple ipad + mac-mini, Sennhieser hd25, Harmony 1100 remote, WW supernova 6 optical, Van Damme xl-r. WW stratus 52, Iomega 2tb's hard drives, Granite plinths,WW starlight USB.

Postby SergeiK » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:26 am

benny39 wrote:+1 this sounds like a very good system SergeiK :) as with AlmaataKZ I have been using the C1C along with scm50's with surprising results considering the obvious differences, I'm still on the fence whether or not to change to the C3C for a more full centre grip...but the C3CA would be very nice although very £££££

that's exactly right as for the same cost or in fact even cheaper it's possible to get another pair of SCM10-2A + C4CA :) (still available locally)...

Postby BenL » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:16 pm

Great system you've got there Sergei, it'd be great to see some pics :D Is there any tonal inconsistency between the fronts and rears? If not then I would have thought you'd be ok with the c4ca. There was one on eBay here recently, it's a monster :twisted:
HiFi: Sonos & Primare -> ATC SCM40

AV: Pioneer 428XD / Onkyo SC886 -> Primare A30.5 -> ATC SCM11s, ATC C3C, Q7000 LR, ATC C2 sub

Postby SergeiK » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:56 pm

BenL wrote:Great system you've got there Sergei, it'd be great to see some pics :D Is there any tonal inconsistency between the fronts and rears? If not then I would have thought you'd be ok with the c4ca. There was one on eBay here recently, it's a monster :twisted:

:) At the moment I do not have XLR cables of enough length so there is no way to connect all 4 speakers now :(
Additionally, the system is going to be placed in a different room where some work has got to be done.

Realistically the HT will not be in full operation withint at least 3 months, I recon.

pics... Well here is the one :)

...Ok, how about C3C vs C3CA in terms of performance. I understand in active ver the driver is SL whilst in passive not. Any other difference apart from built in amp in C3CA?

Postby benny39 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:10 pm

Hi SergeiK, I would imagine if money was no object & you wanted the look and pride of ownership & also the obvious better build/SL drivers then the C3CA & upwards would be the only ones on the list...but if you are building an HT system under a more down to earth budget & watch movies occasionaly (weekends & odd movie elsewhere) then the C3C would be more than capable to fill a medium/large room, if picking up a C3CA on the used Market is more common in Russia than the UK for a reasonable outlay then buying a C3C just now & keeping your eyes out for the C3CA in the future would get you happily up & running...you never know the C3C maybe perfect for your application...just my opinion ;) gorgeous set-up you have VERY NICE :D
Cheers
Benny.
pioneer pdp5090. vsxlx70. bdplx71. ATC scm50asl classic, ATC C4 sub, Antelope Audio zodiac gold/voltikus,Purepower 1050i, Apple ipad + mac-mini, Sennhieser hd25, Harmony 1100 remote, WW supernova 6 optical, Van Damme xl-r. WW stratus 52, Iomega 2tb's hard drives, Granite plinths,WW starlight USB.

Postby paul_riordan » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:38 pm

SergeiK wrote:
BenL wrote:Great system you've got there Sergei, it'd be great to see some pics :D Is there any tonal inconsistency between the fronts and rears? If not then I would have thought you'd be ok with the c4ca. There was one on eBay here recently, it's a monster :twisted:

:) At the moment I do not have XLR cables of enough length so there is no way to connect all 4 speakers now :(
Additionally, the system is going to be placed in a different room where some work has got to be done.

Realistically the HT will not be in full operation withint at least 3 months, I recon.

pics... Well here is the one :)

...Ok, how about C3C vs C3CA in terms of performance. I understand in active ver the driver is SL whilst in passive not. Any other difference apart from built in amp in C3CA?

Your setup is quite similar to mine, I actually run another 50ASL as my centre speaker as I prefer to have the front speakers as similar as possible. If you are watching movies much of the dialogue is put through the centre speaker so I thnk it is worth the investment. For the rears I have a pair of 20-2A speakers.
Source: Auralic Aries Mini + Mytek DAC 192
Video source: Oppo BDP-93 blu-ray/SACD/DVD-A
Pre-amp: Mark Levinson ML380s
Cinema Processor: Anthem D2v
Speakers: ATC SCM50ASL (Front and Centre), ATC C4 (Sub), ATC SCM20A-2 (Rear)
Screen: Pioneer KRP-600A

Return to Home cinema