New TV Ordered

ATC & other makes of Home Cinema equipment

New TV Ordered

Postby emgee » Fri May 18, 2012 4:46 pm

After much deliberation I went for the new Panasonic 50GT 3D, should be here by the end of next week :D ; missus has gone loopy as usual ;) :lol: Once arrived I'll do a bit of a review. Planning on getting an engineer in to set up the picture to THX cert-anyone else done this? Is it possible to do yourself with the right equipment?
cheers
Mark

Re: New TV Ordered

Postby MattSPL » Fri May 18, 2012 5:22 pm

emgee wrote:After much deliberation I went for the new Panasonic 50GT 3D, should be here by the end of next week :D ; missus has gone loopy as usual ;) :lol: Once arrived I'll do a bit of a review. Planning on getting an engineer in to set up the picture to THX cert-anyone else done this? Is it possible to do yourself with the right equipment?

Sounds good Mark :D
Sony BDP-S790 > Matrix Quattro Dac > Digidesign RM2's with SB Acoustics drivers > DIY Dayton Audio UM18-22 Sub

Postby Terry » Fri May 18, 2012 6:15 pm

Mark, I'm a long time Panasonic fan, always good solid performer imho. You will not be disapointed :) is it a new 2012 model :mrgreen:

I have also recently upgraded from 42 to 50 (Panasonic) the extra inches seems to make a significant difference when viewing, especially films. I took advantage of the 2011 model price reductions, some great bargains around :D I must also get round to updating my system post with some pics :oops:

I can't be too specific, but seem to recall seeing on the net in several forums about DIY THX calibration setup. I seem to recall reference to the fact it can be done quite easily with the correct setup disc which can be purchased. Needless to say mine is not THX :cry:

Let us know how you get on :geek:

Terry
Sonos Connect, DSpeaker Anti-Mode 2.0, Quad 405-2 (x2) ATC SCM40, BK400xls

Postby BenL » Fri May 18, 2012 6:31 pm

Congratulations :D Don't get an engineer in until you have several hundred hours on it as the properties of plasma screens are meant to change somewhat over that sort of period.
HiFi: Sonos & Primare -> ATC SCM40

AV: Pioneer 428XD / Onkyo SC886 -> Primare A30.5 -> ATC SCM11s, ATC C3C, Q7000 LR, ATC C2 sub

Postby emgee » Fri May 18, 2012 11:50 pm

BenL wrote:Congratulations :D Don't get an engineer in until you have several hundred hours on it as the properties of plasma screens are meant to change somewhat over that sort of period.

Will do Ben; got some room re-decorating to do as well; sort of home cinema in style but not all out-that would be too much for Gill to handle! :lol:
cheers
Mark

Postby emgee » Sat May 19, 2012 11:09 am

Hi Terry
Yes it the 2012 TX-P50GT50 3D model. I know I should have completed the build of the room first but hey, gotta have a bit of incentive right? :D Room will be along the lines of this one, but without the starry night ceiling; has to function as a living room too!
The curtains will hide the dvd collection and books in our room and not to draw across the tv. I will be having a soft lighting set up with led's and conventional lighting-halogen etc.

pic borrowed from web
cheers
Mark

Postby MattSPL » Sat May 19, 2012 2:28 pm

That will look great, but you have to go for the starry ceiling :D
Sony BDP-S790 > Matrix Quattro Dac > Digidesign RM2's with SB Acoustics drivers > DIY Dayton Audio UM18-22 Sub

Postby Terry » Sat May 19, 2012 3:25 pm

Hi Mark, the 2012 sets look stunning :mrgreen: Love the strategy, buy the equipment first, "we'll decorate later sweetheart" :lol:

Great looking room to model yours around. Please keep us up to date with your thoughts on the TV's performance and room progress.

Have fun :D
Terry
Sonos Connect, DSpeaker Anti-Mode 2.0, Quad 405-2 (x2) ATC SCM40, BK400xls

Return to Home cinema