Pre Pro Recommendations

ATC & other makes of Home Cinema equipment

Re: Pre Pro Recommendations

Postby Muser » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:59 pm

Larry
If I may I ask, what caused you to decide you need room correction for sure, via the Onkyo?
Brad

Brad:

I'll be careful with my response here. I did not think I needed room correction before I bought the Onkyo pre/pro. The Onkyo without room correction sounded just OK, but a distinct step down from my 2 channel preamp (E.A.R. 864). With room correction the Onkyo closed the gap, though not equaling the E.A.R. That made me wonder what room correction might do with the E.A.R.

So, I purchased a minidsp digital correction device and it improved the sound of my E.A.R. Essentially, I used the minidsp as a low pass filter with a shelf boost from 15Hz to 35Hz. That produced a desired result. I have in house minidsp's OpenDRC (Open source Digital Room Correction). I didn't realize that as delivered minidsp's "plugins" only correct below 200Hz; I wanted the OpenDRC to see what it would do when set for 20Hz to 25kHz, for instance. I don't know if I need the latter, but having the opportunity to play with it was attractive. A free 30 day license for Accourate is available for the OpenDRC, but I haven't gotten far on that. My computer skills and time available to climb the learning curve are the boat anchors to my progress.

FWIW, I like concepts and ideas, but I "buy" based on experience. So, it sounds attractive to have the OpenDRC correct 20-25kHz (a concept), but until I've experienced it, I'm still on a test drive.

I hope that answered your question.

Larry
ATC SCM20-2A, Onkyo 885(a) preamp processor, Pass Labs XP-10 preamp, Amazon Model 2 tt, Moerch DP6 arm and Dynavector XX2MkII cartridge, Oppo 105, LampizatOr Euforia DSD DAC, Kubala Sosna Expression cabling. Two 15" Acoustic Elegance subwoofers, powered by QSC RMX 2450 amplifier w/ minidsp equalization.

Postby Brad Lunde » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:39 am

Fascinating Larry.
So really its the deep lows that motivated you. The EAR is a fine piece -so I get your meaning.
Brad
Brad Lunde
Lone Mountain Audio, part of TransAudio Group
ATC Importers USA

Postby Muser » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:25 pm

So really its the deep lows that motivated you. The EAR is a fine piece -so I get your meaning.
Brad

Brad:

Frankly I didn't know what component of the Onkyo's room correction was responsible for the improvement. With my E.A.R. and the minidsp working on the lower bass certainly helped. Although ATC, Shadorne and others think electronic correction of sound is worse than solving acoustic problems in the acoustic domain (I like the symmetry of that model), the minidsp sounds pretty good to me. Of course, I have a young boy and have very little time to listen carefully these days. I might be listening through obviously horrible things these days and not noticing. :oops:

Larry
ATC SCM20-2A, Onkyo 885(a) preamp processor, Pass Labs XP-10 preamp, Amazon Model 2 tt, Moerch DP6 arm and Dynavector XX2MkII cartridge, Oppo 105, LampizatOr Euforia DSD DAC, Kubala Sosna Expression cabling. Two 15" Acoustic Elegance subwoofers, powered by QSC RMX 2450 amplifier w/ minidsp equalization.

Postby Brad Lunde » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:45 am

Muser wrote:
Brad

Brad:

Frankly I didn't know what component of the Onkyo's room correction was responsible for the improvement. With my E.A.R. and the minidsp working on the lower bass certainly helped. Although ATC, Shadorne and others think electronic correction of sound is worse than solving acoustic problems in the acoustic domain (I like the symmetry of that model), the minidsp sounds pretty good to me. <SNIP>

Larry

Well I pretty much in that camp of "you can't fix acoustical problems electrically". But I am also in the camp of (as it pertains to home hi fi) , if you find something that makes you happy, leave it alone.

In studios, the issue is often more about translation. If you have a low end boost, whether electrically or acoustically caused, your mixes sound bass shy as you have too much bass and tend to provide insufficient low end. If the speaker system (speaker + room) has too much high end, your mixes sound dull on other (home hi fi) systems as it sounds bright to the mixer and he does not provide enough high end to a truly flat system. So room correction really fouls things up downsteam and is a big no-no in pro mixing. Mastering is supposed to catch and correct these errors.

Brad
Brad Lunde
Lone Mountain Audio, part of TransAudio Group
ATC Importers USA

Previous

Return to Home cinema