What Center with the SCM20

ATC & other makes of Home Cinema equipment

Re: What Center with the SCM20

Postby MevDinc » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:31 am

According to my experience and knowledge on the subject I would say that the centre speaker is very (more) important in home cinema as a lot of information is carried in this channel as well as the dialog. Accordingly matching/sorting out the front 3 is more important.
For years I have successfully used a pair of KEF dipole for surrounds. I did try using ATC 20A Pros as surrounds which improved the overall tonal balance but for home cinema the difference is not that important.
And, with the correct setup the home cinema processors do a great job with matching the speakers as well.

Best.
Mev
Audirvana+3.0 - Mac Mini, Lindermann Musicbook 20 DSD, ATC EL 150ASL (with the ATC tweeter!)

Postby Alexk » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:25 pm

I wouldn't under-spec the centre speaker in comparison to the main fronts. The centre channel not only carries all the dialog, but often quite a surprising amount of LF information.

I'd want to have at least the same amount of output capacity as the main speakers, ideally some more...

Postby Mariner » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:46 pm

Thanks for that helpful advice Alex !!

Postby Shadorne » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:19 pm

Mariner,

My experience is that a good phantom centre (from DSP) with ATC L and R would be my first choice for a small TV like a 55 inch plasma.

Do not underestimate the problem and sound degradation fromplacing a centre at a radically different height from the L and R.

I mention acoustically transparent screen because that is the only way to get the centre at the correct height as you place the centre at the matching height behind the screen.

The ideal scenario is that all 5 or 6 or 7 speakers should all match - so the ideal centre for you is another SCM 20!
"ATC. Always The Champion. I will not record without them. The best studio monitors. Period." ~ Lenny Kravitz

Benchmark DAC3, 2 x ATC SCM EL150ASL, 1 ATC SCM 0.1/15, 2 x Genelec 8020, Roland TD-30 Drums, Pearl Ref Acoustic Kit, Ludwig brass & Pearl Ref snares, Gibson LP Supreme, Fender Precision Bass

Postby Mariner » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:39 pm

55" plasma "small TV" ;) ;)

If you had told me that 10 years ago, i thought you were crazy.
As i said at that time: In my livingroom no head is bigger than mine ! :D
But now you might be right, but not in every household.

My aim is to build up a 7.1 System with front presence speaker.
From many opinions, i found at the internet, that will be good for a perfect acustical match with the screen.
In my, still imaginary, sytem the height difference between the front and the center speaker is not that much.
Here is my aim:

The front speaker SCM20 will be amped by a Mcintosh MC 2205 (as the last 20 years) which was always very good for my ears.
The center might be a C4CA and the presence front a SCM7.
Presence and rear will be amped by the Yamaha RX-V3067 which has no problems creating a good 7.1.
In the rear i will check out if my ProAc tablette will work, if not i will look after a SCM10.

That is my solution until now, which means not much!
Any comments are very welcome, and maybe i will change my intensions.

Postby Shadorne » Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:57 pm

Mariner wrote:55" plasma "small TV" ;) ;)

If you had told me that 10 years ago, i thought you were crazy.
As i said at that time: In my livingroom no head is bigger than mine ! :D
But now you might be right, but not in every household.

My aim is to build up a 7.1 System with front presence speaker.
From many opinions, i found at the internet, that will be good for a perfect acustical match with the screen.
In my, still imaginary, sytem the height difference between the front and the center speaker is not that much.
Here is my aim:

The front speaker SCM20 will be amped by a Mcintosh MC 2205 (as the last 20 years) which was always very good for my ears.
The center might be a C4CA and the presence front a SCM7.
Presence and rear will be amped by the Yamaha RX-V3067 which has no problems creating a good 7.1.
In the rear i will check out if my ProAc tablette will work, if not i will look after a SCM10.

That is my solution until now, which means not much!
Any comments are very welcome, and maybe i will change my intensions.

What I mean about small TV is that if you place your L and R speaker close to the TV and aligned with the centre of the screen then the phantom centre will be excellentand the angles to the listener will be good except along the sides of your room. So money spent on a bigger sub woofer might get you more impact than a dedicated centre. If you go giant screen with a projector then your screen would occupy 2/3 of your wall and in this case a centre becomes a necessity.

From a technology perspective I think the plasma TVs are the best we have seen so far but LED are slowly catching up. LCD never worked for me - as black levels were never good.
"ATC. Always The Champion. I will not record without them. The best studio monitors. Period." ~ Lenny Kravitz

Benchmark DAC3, 2 x ATC SCM EL150ASL, 1 ATC SCM 0.1/15, 2 x Genelec 8020, Roland TD-30 Drums, Pearl Ref Acoustic Kit, Ludwig brass & Pearl Ref snares, Gibson LP Supreme, Fender Precision Bass

Postby Mariner » Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:37 pm

Thanks for your idea´s and reply, Shadorne.

What do think of my conception? You might be a little bit more experienced than me!

With a phantom center i have a little bit fear, like you wrote, that it will work good only at the "sweet spot".
I have a Dynaudio Sub250 which work fine with the ProAc´s. It´s dry, fast but don´t get very deep.So it´s not very impressive!
And i think at first i will try it at the new ATC sytem.
As i watch mostly music-videos and listen to music, i don´t need a a deep impact like on movies that urgent.
From my experiences with the ProAc´s system, i know how important a good center is.
That´s why i put much focus on it. The SCM20 don´t make so much "room" like the bigger ATC´s that you have.
So i think that they need a little bit support with center and presence. And so the sound might get a little bit "airy".
But maybe i´m wrong ?? :roll:

Postby Mariner » Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:15 pm

Merry Chistmas !!!!

Maybe someone has enlightened me at this time :)
but i have made a decision !

I´m now preferable looking for an old C1C (A) like this one:
Image Image Image Image

I love the look, and i think this center will match with my SCM20 really good!
If i´m not able to get one like this, maybe a C4CA is an option ??
A C5CA will be to big and to heavy for my weak back ! ;)

So if anybody here in this forum will upgrade his C1C (old) here is a great chance,
for a, from my point of view, reasonable price: (it´s not mine !!)

http://www.ebay.de/itm/221975708154?_tr ... EBIDX%3AIT

I´m willing to buy your C1C at once !! :P ;)

Postby MattSPL » Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:35 pm

Sony BDP-S790 > Matrix Quattro Dac > Digidesign RM2's with SB Acoustics drivers > DIY Dayton Audio UM18-22 Sub

Postby Mariner » Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:13 am

Thanks a lot for that advice !!

Postby Mariner » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:55 am

This one is on Ebay UK now:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/ATC-SCM-50ASL-Ac ... Sw5dNWlkdP

What did more experienced forum member thought about a combination with SCM20 ?
Is this center to big for my needs??
Maybe someone here ( with "bigger equippment") will upgrade,
and might have a small center to sell ?? ;) ;)

Postby AlmaataKZ » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:50 pm

A very interesting option
iMac/Bluray/PVR - Marantz SR7008 - 7.1 ATC SCM50SLAT fronts, C1C centre, SCM7 rears, MonitoAudio M3 rear surr, C4 sub
Airplay multiroom (aex to genelec 6010, b&w mm1, avi dm10)
System here: http://atcforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=667

Postby Mariner » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:26 am

Got a ATC C4CA yesterday !
For a very good price in nearly mint condition !!! :D :D

So my search for the center is finished !

Postby MattSPL » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:30 pm

Mariner wrote:Got a ATC C4CA yesterday !
For a very good price in nearly mint condition !!! :D :D

So my search for the center is finished !

Great news :D congrats.

Do you have it yet or are you awaiting delivery?
Sony BDP-S790 > Matrix Quattro Dac > Digidesign RM2's with SB Acoustics drivers > DIY Dayton Audio UM18-22 Sub

Postby Mariner » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:55 am

I already have it !
Fortunately i was able to pick it up, because the seller lives only 160km away from me ! :D

PreviousNext

Return to Home cinema