New computer

General computer hardware discussion

New computer

Postby brolly727 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:37 pm

Hello all,

I'm considering making/buying a new computer but not sure what to get. It'll be mainly used for a little and bits and bobs and streaming stuff to the PS3 I don't mind paying for a higher spec so go shoot. I was thinking about iCore 7 or maybe 9 if i wait a while. Also anyone have experience of high end laptops? My HP kept breaking down (stupid stupid HP) any suggestions would be most welcome.

Re: New computer

Postby Beta4Me » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:20 am

Hi,

I happen to have an IT Business so I have plenty of experience in this area--albeit in Australia. If you could give some rough idea of budget and how important appearance and name brand is to you that would be great.

Similarly, with your laptop, what size is it? What requirements for battery-life, speed, storage, gaming and portability do you have and what's your budget?

Thanks.

Postby brolly727 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:03 am

Hi Beta4Me,

many many apologies for the late response. I was thinking of spending up to £1500 or so. What would you recommend building your own computer or buying off the shelf so to speak? I can build but is it worth the effort as i am aware prices are very competitive from the big manufacturers now.

The computer would be used for surfing the net and perhaps decoding/encoding and as a media center. Having said that I got to play with Chord's media engine yesterday (thanks rick) and it was great although i'm still a bit dismayed that Chord let Microsoft design the remote and the IR receiver. I thought windows 7 looked a bit clunky but thats personal opinion i suppose, but yeah any recommendations would be most welcome :)

Branding i don't care too much about hence the custom made computer stuff. Would be nice if the computer/laptop looked nice most of my equipment is gloss black something like that would be good. Maybe a shuttle computer? as its still quite portable but can house the power of a desktop?

'Sim

Postby Beta4Me » Sat May 01, 2010 5:16 am

What I would say is to buy a couple of PC Magazines and have a look in them for PC Roundups/Group tests etc. at around your price range. What you will likely see is a few of the big-name brands but quite a few local-brands (i.e. small custom builders) that will be far better VFM. Check some of these out and see what suits your budget and requirements. E.g. I use TI Computers. They'll custom build for me (or I can just have one of their models tweaked) and they will give a warranty guarantee. Basically I get great VFM and custom spec's with a full warranty without having to build it myself or being ripped-off by a big-brand.

As I don't check the forums overly often you can always e-mail me about this (I'll pm you my work e-mail).

Return to Computer's