Recommended preamplifier specs for active ATC 50s

ATC & other manufacturers design parameters, technical queries etc

Recommended preamplifier specs for active ATC 50s

Postby ubikant » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:27 am

I am planning to upgrade the preamplifier for my active ATC 50s. I would love to audition ATC’s SCA2 and CA2, but unfortunately there are no dealers anywhere near my city (Chicago), otherwise they would be my first choice.
I am looking specifically at Bryston and Placette active preamplifiers (I currently use Placette’s passive volume control and am very impressed).
I know that the ATC preamps have an output impedance of 10 ohms, which is something that both the Bryston and the Placette active preamplifiers offer. Are there any other technical specifications that I should be looking at to ensure that the new preamp is a good match with the active ATC 50s? Thanks in advance for your replies.

Re: Recommended preamplifier specs for active ATC 50s

Postby studioman » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:40 pm

Understood.
I had the same question, although I am currently using my Audio Research Reference preamp with my ATC active speakers, and these have a 400 ohm balanced output. They STILL sound brilliant fed by it.
The main thing which I would always look for in a preamp for ATC speakers, is that it has Balanced outputs.
To me, that is the number 1 criteria to look for. I would not use ATC actives without it.
So assuming it is a quality preamp, and has balanced outputs, the next thing would be as low an output impedance as possible.
Then you have a chance of system synergy, but you will need to try before you know. See if you can get a suitablepreamp on a 'trial' basis.
Good luck.
They say if you can remember the 60's, you weren't really there. Now somehow I have reached 62...oh shit, it's 63 now....How and when did THAT happen?....there's a lesson there somewhere if only I could figure it out...

Postby Brad Lunde » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:31 pm

ubikant wrote:I am planning to upgrade the preamplifier for my active ATC 50s. I would love to audition ATC’s SCA2 and CA2, but unfortunately there are no dealers anywhere near my city (Chicago), otherwise they would be my first choice.
I am looking specifically at Bryston and Placette active preamplifiers (I currently use Placette’s passive volume control and am very impressed).
I know that the ATC preamps have an output impedance of 10 ohms, which is something that both the Bryston and the Placette active preamplifiers offer. Are there any other technical specifications that I should be looking at to ensure that the new preamp is a good match with the active ATC 50s? Thanks in advance for your replies.

THEre IS a dealer in CHicago, Music Direct. Ask Chris there for a demo.
Brad
Brad Lunde
Lone Mountain Audio, part of TransAudio Group
ATC Importers USA

Postby Joe951 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:48 am

I'm using a Bryston BP25 with some active ATCs and I think it's a good match. It's a very dynamic sound with excellent bass resolution.

I didn't realize Music Direct has a showroom. I knew they were here and I knew they carried ATC. I've also bought from them before. They should put some effort into advertising that. I thought I'd have to drive half way across the country to listen to ATCs. I first heard a pair of active 10s at a dealer in Chicago in 2001 and I always wanted some but ended up buying other brands because by the time I could afford it that dealer was gone and there were no dealers anywhere in the area.

Postby ubikant » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:47 pm

THEre IS a dealer in CHicago, Music Direct. Ask Chris there for a demo.
Brad

Thanks for the information, Brad. I knew Music Direct carried ATC, but the catalogue shows only the line of passive speakers, so it didn't even occur to me that I could order ATC electronics through them. I will contact Chris at Music Direct. I have been dealing with both Chris and Music Direct for years and they are both wonderful to do business with.

Postby Brad Lunde » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:11 am

ubikant wrote:THEre IS a dealer in CHicago, Music Direct. Ask Chris there for a demo.
Brad

Thanks for the information, Brad. I knew Music Direct carried ATC, but the catalogue shows only the line of passive speakers, so it didn't even occur to me that I could order ATC electronics through them. I will contact Chris at Music Direct. I have been dealing with both Chris and Music Direct for years and they are both wonderful to do business with.

Passives are more popular than actives, and ATC passives still outperform most other speakers. In the US, actives are not popular from anyone unless its a tiny little bluetooth speaker! But take heart, Music Direct will begin to offer active 19s and 40s shortly.

At AXPONA 2017 we'll show 50s driven by C2 preamp and twin P2s, while Prism will show active 40s and Playback Designs will show passive 40s.

Brad
Brad Lunde
ATC Importers USA

Postby Joe951 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:57 pm

Brad Lunde wrote:
ubikant wrote:THEre IS a dealer in CHicago, Music Direct. Ask Chris there for a demo.
Brad

Passives are more popular than actives, and ATC passives still outperform most other speakers. In the US, actives are not popular from anyone unless its a tiny little bluetooth speaker! But take heart, Music Direct will begin to offer active 19s and 40s shortly.

At AXPONA 2017 we'll show 50s driven by C2 preamp and twin P2s, while Prism will show active 40s and Playback Designs will show passive 40s.

Brad

Brad, is there any chance that you'd do a tweeter upgrade on the road? This is more of a hypothetical question at this point. I'm not sure I could make it to Axpona this year and I'm not sure I'm feeling rich enough to spend the money right now but if I were, is this something that could happen? I don't see myself ever actually taking the trouble to have my speakers shipped anywhere for this. They're a pair of custom built 110s I bought used from an orchestra. They're quite heavy and they came with the big p4 amps so shipping weight would be 500lbs probably. I'd be much more likely to do it if I could drive them somewhere to have it done.

Also, what does the tweeter upgrade cost?

Postby Brad Lunde » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:48 am

Joe951 wrote:
Brad, is there any chance that you'd do a tweeter upgrade on the road? This is more of a hypothetical question at this point. I'm not sure I could make it to Axpona this year and I'm not sure I'm feeling rich enough to spend the money right now but if I were, is this something that could happen? I don't see myself ever actually taking the trouble to have my speakers shipped anywhere for this. They're a pair of custom built 110s I bought used from an orchestra. They're quite heavy and they came with the big p4 amps so shipping weight would be 500lbs probably. I'd be much more likely to do it if I could drive them somewhere to have it done.

HI Joe: The price is not set yet. I expect it will be $1500 for most including the calibration.

No, the kits are not yet available for upgrades and I know now I will not be doing them on the road. Measurements are required to know how to recalibrate them, we need a controlled environment.

110s with a P4? Really? 110s came with amp packs, P4s are for 200s and 300s. What is the serial number of these 110s?

They are not so heavy.....P4s are heavy!

Brad
Brad Lunde
ATC Importers USA

Postby Joe951 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:57 pm

Brad Lunde wrote:
Joe951 wrote:

HI Joe: The price is not set yet. I expect it will be $1500 for most including the calibration.

No, the kits are not yet available for upgrades and I know now I will not be doing them on the road. Measurements are required to know how to recalibrate them, we need a controlled environment.

110s with a P4? Really? 110s came with amp packs, P4s are for 200s and 300s. What is the serial number of these 110s?

They are not so heavy.....P4s are heavy!

Brad

They're the center fills in the below picture. The NWS sold off this setup a few years ago and I picked them up for very cheap. They aren't completely standard as they came with the P4 and are a sealed box. I'm guessing they're comparable to the C6C as that's what the driver configuration looks like. They do weigh a ton. The speakers themselves feel like well over 100lbs to me and the amps are 88lbs according to the specs.

I bought them because I had always wanted big ATCs and I wanted some really good speakers that my small children wouldn't ruin. These are perfect as they're already banged up, have tough metal grills that are hard to get off, and they really rock. The great thing about audiophiles is that they don't actually care all that much about performance most of the time. A speaker that performs like 20k won't sell for a fraction of that if it doesn't fit the cosmetic expectations of the "audiophile." A diligent scrounger can live large for cheap.

Postby tesilk » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:02 pm

ubikant wrote:I am planning to upgrade the preamplifier for my active ATC 50s. I would love to audition ATC’s SCA2 and CA2, but unfortunately there are no dealers anywhere near my city (Chicago), otherwise they would be my first choice.

Hi, I have now Naim Nac-N272 with my active ATC 50s - amazing combination. I am not thinking about anything else anymore. Try it if you can. Use DIN4 outs to XLR for best result. Mogami cables. Optical bridge. Voila.

Postby tesilk » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:49 pm

And I forgot the XPS DR, add it to 272 as soon as you can.

Serge

Postby lieberung » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:09 am

Hi,
I have been using this Audio-gd Master 1 for some years now and I am satisfied with the sound quality. It's a bit old school, i.e. no fancy menues, functionality, room correction etc but does the job.

I don't have much to compare it too but it was noticeable upgrade from audiolab cdq which I used previously as preamp. Only downside is that the output level is a bit high so for most listening I use Rothwell xlr attenuators on the 50's. But the designer will on request modify this, but I purchased mine second hand

http://www.audio-gd.com/Master/Master-1/Master-1EN.htm

The Output impedance is 10 ohm @ XLR

See here for other people experience:
https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/audio ... od.698018/
Speakers: ATC SCM50 ASLT, Source: PC, fully specced Empirical Audio Off-ramp 5 w/Dynamo psu, DAC: Audio-GD Master 7, Preamp: Audio-GD Master 1, CDP: Audiolab CDQ8200

Return to Technical area